Food to avoid the sugar patient
Any foods containing the following should be avoided
* White sugar, brown sugar, Demerara sugar, muscovado sugar, ‘raw sugar’, etc.'
* Sucrose, glucose, dextrose, fructose (refined fruit sugar), maltose, etc
* Caramel, golden syrup, treacle, molasses, maple syrup, corn syrup, rice syrup, honey, wheat syrup.
Sugar may occur in the following foods
* Bakery products - cakes, buns, biscuits, cookies, pies, pastries, some breads, etc.
* Drinks - Ovaltine, drinking chocolate, malted milk, milk shakes, alcoholic drinks, soft drinks,
(a can of cola typically contains the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar!), mixers,
fruit drinks, fruit squashes, cordials, etc.
* Breakfast cereals - Cornflakes, Rice Crispies, Weetabix, muesli, etc.
* Processed and convenience foods
* Dairy products - condensed milk, evaporated milk, ice cream, fruit yoghurt, etc.
* Deserts and puddings
* Frozen foods
* Jams and marmalades
* Sauces - tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sauce, Worcester sauce, sweet and sour sauce,
many soya and other oriental sauces, mayonnaise, etc.
* Sweets - sweets, candies, lollies, chocolate, chewing gum, bubble gum, liquorice, etc.
* Tinned foods - tinned vegetables, fruits, soups, desert