Thermal power plant,Advantages and Disadvantages
Thermal power plant or Steam power plant :
A generating station which converts heat energy of coal combustion in to electrical energy is known as Thermal power plant or Steam power plant. Some of its advantages and disadvantages are given below.
- The fuel used is quite cheap.
- Less initial cost as compared to other generating plants.
- It can beinstalled at any place iirespective of the existence of coal. The coal can be transported to the site of the plant by rail or road.
- It require less space as compared to Hydro power plants.
- Cost of generation is less than that of diesel power plants.
- It pollutes the atmosphere due to production of large amount of smoke and fumes.
- It is costlier in running cost as compared to Hydro electric plants.