Batting great Sunil Gavaskar has come out in support of Yuvraj Singh, saying that the out of favour 32-year-old India star can make a comeback into the national team.

"In cricket, nothing is impossible. You have one outstanding season, and you can come back. It is up to Yuvraj to show that he has got the burning desire for it. I think he has. And he has just had a bad season. Hopefully he returns, because he adds so much to the Indian team, as he is still a top fielder and his left-arm spinners does help us pick up wickets," Gavaskar said at the Wankhede on Wednesday.

When asked if it was possible for the 35-year-old Virender Sehwag, too, to make a return, Gavaskar made a pertinent point. "It is up to these guys to come back. They must get not just hundreds, but double hundreds to impress the selectors, and consistently at that," he said.

Gavaskar felt that Sehwag was better off opening the innings rather than trying out the No. 4 spot. "I think he is more happy with the ball coming on to the bat. If you have opened the batting for such a long time, it is a little bit difficult in the dressing room, waiting for your turn to bat. The best move for him would be to go back to batting at top. The new ball will come on to the bat, and he can try and score off it," he said.

The 64-year-old was left pleased with India's show in South Africa recently. "I was very happy with the way they did there. They almost beat SA in first Test, and enjoyed three good days at Durban. Maybe, a couple of bad sessions cost us the Test," he reflected.

Talking about the forthcoming tour to New Zealand, Gavaskar said: "New Zealand again will be tough. Playing in their conditions is never easy. Home teams are always tough to beat. It is not going to be easy for India. They are going to leave grass on their pitches, which could work to India's advantage, because of the new ball attack that we have," Gavaskar quipped.

Yuvraj Singh More Stills

Keywords:Batting great ,Sunil Gavaskar , Yuvraj Singh,national team,Virender Sehwag,cricket news,sports news