Off-spinner R Ashwin is nothing if not combative. He hates being hit, enjoys a contest with big-hitting batsmen, loves bowling in the powerplays and enjoys living up to the captain's expectations. He loves competition.

With Amit Mishra being in such good form, Ashwin, who is usually skipper MS Dhoni's first choice, has played second fiddle.

"It's not about what I'm doing or where I'm given the ball. I've been playing alongside Mahi for some time, and he probably knows where to use me and where not to use me. I'm always open to bowling in any situation, so for me it doesn't make any difference," he said ahead of India's semifinal clash, when asked if he enjoys bowling with the new ball.

After going through a torrid time which saw him lose his place in Tests, Ashwin has bowled well in the World T20. Not only has he contained batsmen, he has also picked up wickets at crucial times. "In the last two or three months, I feel that I'm probably at the top of my bowling game. When I reach that phase, I pretty much don't practise at all. That's a phase I'm in right now. The ball is landing exactly where I want it to."

He also doesn't mind the success of his teammates. "I've never bothered about who's behind my shoulder. That's not how I play my cricket," he said, stressing that he believes in improving as a cricketer on a daily basis. "I don't say it just for the sake of it. Unless you keep improving, you're not going to last the distance. You lose out. It's pretty much like a business model. If somebody's behind my shoulder, they can stay there."

Ashwin also took a dig at South Africa's big-match temperament when he compared it to India's. "We don't have any baggage. We've not lost many big competitions, so there will be no scars with us."