Malayalam comedian Jagathy Sreekumar said superstar Mammootty was not a flexible actor though he is brilliant when it comes to serious roles.

"Comedy and dance sequences are not his (Mammootty's) forte but he excels in serious roles, Sreekumar told reporters here.

"I prefer working with actors like Mohanlal, Dileep, Nedumudi Venu and Thilakan.

"Mammootty is a serious person and is not one who likes criticism. But we don't have any problems even though I have expressed my opinion about him earlier," remarked the veteran actor, who has completed over 1,100 Malayalam films.

Sreekumar, 56, began his career in 1973 and is known for his razor-sharp tongue and frank opinions, which have often landed him in trouble. The veteran actor has worked in 21 of the 64 films released in 2006.

The comic star is also critical of the fat remuneration being charged by superstars.

"The Malayalam film industry is the smallest in the country and any film which overshoots the cost of production by over Rs.20 million is bound to incur loss. The superstars have to reduce their remuneration," he said.

Though he owes his popularity to his comic acts, Sreekumar said he prefers doing character roles because he finds them easier.

"Ever since my career began, I have been cast mostly as a comedian. But making people laugh is the most difficult and tedious part in acting. And as a professional, I will go to any extent to make people laugh because I am paid to do so," he added.

Sreekumar also owns the Kalanilayam Drama Vision school, which has a 155-member troupe, and believes drama is like a nursery school before entering films.

"In this troupe, we stage close to 40 plays written by my father. I think I am successful in films because I began through drama," he said.

2007 will be yet another busy year for Sreekumar. He already has five films with leading directors and actors in his kitty.