Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: weird facts, history, news

Interesting facts
    And amazed dat a female posted such facts
    If u were Indian then I wud hav never believed that u r female

i duno if u got this.. but i said: that's why i m not indian... although i really like indian culture.

Default History Lesson

Have a history teacher explain this----- if they can.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
    John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
    John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.
    Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.
    Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.
    Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Now it gets really weird.

Lincoln 's secretary was named Kennedy.
    Kennedy's Secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.
    Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
    Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
    Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.
    Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Now hang on to your seat.

Lincoln was shot at the theater named 'Ford.'
    Kennedy was shot in a car called ' Lincoln' made by 'Ford.'

Lincoln was shot in a theater and his assassin ran and hid in a warehouse.
    Kennedy was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran and hid in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And here's the kicker...

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland
    A week before Kennedy was shot, he was with Marilyn Monroe.

Creepy huh? Send this to as many people as you can, cause: Hey, this is one history lesson people don't mind reading

it's weird that no one is doing any help in here... are you not interested in weird facts and news and history?... no comment means what... not interested?

Very interesting... But I dont have any new facts to add... :cry:

And at the risk of being unpopular, here's a few that have beeen posted being busted...

Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.
    Rubbish. Too many horror movies. (Ask any undertaker).

in medieval England, beer was often served with breakfast.
    Is true, but hardly explores the reason and is a misnomer. It was because there was no clean drinking water. "Small beer" was extremely weak in alcohol, but drunk by the general population in lieu of good drinking water.

People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.
    Um, it may (although I doubt it), but the real reason dates back to the various plagues of the middle ages. The plague was considered the devil's work and sneezing MAY have been (or mistaken to have been) one of the symptoms. People said "Bless you" to try to drive the devil from the sneezer's system and like many things has survived to this day. Sorry.

Question - This is the only food that doesn't spoil. What is this? Honey.
    And jam (think American's call it jelly or jello??), several others as well, in fact, anything that is called a preserve will not spoil if kept correctly (and you can use them to preserve other foods). Also certain types of brine. I used to work in a bacon curing factory and they used (some) brines that had been around since the 1700's. Give me some time and I can probably come up with more.

Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure. (What about that pig??)
    What about rats? My brother - in - law used to keep rats (lots of them). Understandably, the males and females were kept seperate. Adolescant male rats have mutual masturbation sessions. Now, you can talk about the pack instinct all you want, this was done for pleasure in my eyes.

Animal masturbation aside, here's a few I know to be true:

The most powerful poison in the animal kingdom is possessed by the common Crane Fly (daddy long legs). Maybe it was some cosmic joke that neglected to give it fangs. It can't actually inject this poison into anything.

Another from the insect world: The dragonfly lives for 30 to 35 years under water in as many as 6 larval stages before spending about 2 weeks above it. In all stages they are voracious predators and will even take out small fish. They cannot feel pain and will eat anything in front of their mouths (including themselves).

Staying with the watery theme, but now switching to animals for a second. The male seahorse gestates the female's eggs in it's body and gives birth to live offspring.

I'll leave you with a question which was (correctly) answered for me by an eight year old boy:

Why is the sky blue?

Have fun.

The sky ISN'T blue - it only looks that way.

Air is tranpsarent.

What we see is actually light moving away from us (hence the blue end of the spectrum) having bounced off the surface of the planet and been refracted by the atmosphere. This is also why we see a red sky at night and in the mornings - when the angle is "right" for us to see it moving towards us. When a galaxy (essentially, a big spinny thing) is viewed from the side, half of it is blue (the side moving away from our galaxy) and half is red (the side moving towards us). Before you ask yes, "big spinny thing" is a technical term.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234