Thread: Do You Get Easily Offended?

Default Do You Get Easily Offended?

who gets offended and why?

People who are hypersensitive
    Hypersensitive guys have been around forever, but their numbers have increased in the wake of political correctness. They get offended because they see life as having a certain set of rules. For example, knock-knock jokes are fine, but jokes about women's knockers are out. It's not that the joke or topic offends them; it's just that they play by the rules, while other guys get away with saying what they're thinking.

People who think all comments are targeted at them

You know these guys; they're egomaniacs. It's one thing to be a little neurotic, but it's something else to think that the world revolves around you. Most of the time, these guys get offended about comments that couldn't possibly be directed at them, but because they think the whole world is talking about them all the time , they believe every comment must be about them. These are the guys who tell you that you can't tell a Polish joke because a distant relative of theirs once considered a vacation in Poland.

People who don't read properly

I'll only say this once: you've got to read the whole article or post. If you don't read the whole article/post, don't complain. I don't even think the guys who freak out after reading only part of the article/post are easily offended. In fact, they might be reasonable guys. But because they fail to take that extra step to understand what they've read, they fly off the handle without justification

The topics people get easily offended about and how to avoid losing your cool...

what do they get offended about?

Everything and nothing

You name it, it will offend someone . With my luck, I'll be at a party complaining about traffic (a topic you'd think most people could agree on), only to find I'm talking to the one guy who works for the department of transportation. Does he say: "Yes, traffic is bad, we're working on it," or just laugh along with the others? No. He goes off on me for two hours about how I don't understand the complexity of the problem.

"Personal reasons"
    Let's face it: I can't know everything about you. If I had known that your sister lost her eye opening a champagne bottle, I probably wouldn't have made that joke. But I didn't know. There's always some guy out there who becomes outraged for personal reasons (even when your comments couldn't possibly be construed as malicious) or who gets upset for someone else (even when he isn't personally offended).

Touchy topics
    Sex, relationships, racism, religion, death, and politics are all serious topics, and they're all guaranteed one-way tickets to being offensive. That's too bad. We should be able to talk about these things, but the guys who are easily offended when someone offers a different point of view stifle the conversation. And for the record, teasing someone about losing a relative is mean, but making a joke about death isn't taboo because, let's face it, it happens to everyone.

Last but not the least mods should learn to leave their personal fondness of a certain member to themselves and act fairly while moderating. Also if you cant participate in a discussion then atleast dont try to butt in and spoil a discussion.As far as people are having a conversation in a peaceful manner you should keep it to yourself . I mean if you are really interested in showing your "OH I HAVE THE MOD POWER, I CAN EDIT YOUR POSTS!!!,I CAN BAN YOU!!!"

A proper moderating is listening to your members queries and complains,keep an eye out if a newbie or perhaps an oldie hasnt started a thread that would offend or probably disturb the serenity of the forum

good point, though they obviosly don't :)