Thread: Drinking culture of different countries

Default Drinking culture of different countries

Hey all! I'm curious about when young people start drinking and partying and such around the world.. or even do drugs (for those who're into that)..
    Here in Denmark it's completely normal to start drinking at age 13 or so.. Which i think is too early..
    Dunno what it's like in other countries, so that's why i'm asking you guys :)

in UK, some kids start drinking at like 13 as well... but i think its really about context, like in italy kids drink younger but its water with a bit of wine at the dinner table...very civilised...in uk its more like binge drinking in the park in kid-gangs. scary

Drinking is a bad habit and becoming addict to it is a very bad habit.

In New Zealand, you can buy alcohol at 18. When I was a kid (in the seventies) the drinking culture was full of loud drunken louts and buying alcohol was very regulated, no sales on Sunday and many other strict rules.

Now you can buy alcohol in supermarkets and on Sundays. We still have a boozy lout fringe, but in many ways our drinking has grown up. Drink driving is now longer socially acceptable and saying you were drunk when you beat your wife, is very unacceptable. But years ago people seemed to think those sort of things were OK. So in many ways it is better.

A lot of New Zealanders (and me) think it is long overdue to look at cannabis law reform. Other countries and parts of Australia did it years ago, but our government won't hear of it. It would hardly be the end of the world if it happened, but I don't see it as happening anytime soon.

Sometimes New Zealand can be a bit backwards.

Default Im in Perth, Australia...

I started drinking about the age of 14/15, partying about 15 as well... Of course, it was only a small fraction of what we get up to nowadays...

Anyone else from Oz? :?: