Slowly but surely, Virat Kohli is getting back in form. He was India's most consistent batsman in the ODIs over a period of 16 months till the recent slump. But his unbeaten innings of 77 in the third one-dayer in Ranchi augurs well for him and the team.

The day after he was pulled up by the BCCI for giving a full-length interview to a national newspaper, Kohli was at the official press conference on the eve of the fourth ODI at PCA stadium in Mohali.

Talking about his form, he said: "You can't keep scoring over a length of time. Every batsman has to face a slump. In those testing times, he has to stay calm and positive and not get frustrated."

There was a period when Kohli could do nothing wrong. Runs kept flowing from his bat and over 16 months, he got over 1000 runs in 18 ODIs at an average of 80, with six centuries. That included a top-class 183 against Pakistan in the Asia Cup in Bangladesh.

"Yes, when the going is good one should make the most of it. One can never be sure when a bad patch may hit you. And that is what happened to me. When the going was good I ensured that I kept scoring runs. Surely, it gives one a great kick."

In the recent ODI series against Pakistan, Kohli was dismissed cheaply in all three games. His scores read 0, 6 and & 7. In the first two games against England, his scores (15 and 37), were less than satisfactory again. But the good thing was that he was gradually getting into the groove and he finally came good with a match-winning performance in Ranchi.

"It was a bit annoying for me as I was not getting out making too many mistakes. I got a few good balls in the last series and made a few mistakes when I was going well. But, I was pretty calm at that point of time. You just have to be composed. You know that it is going to happen (return to form)," he said.

He was asked if he was happy batting at No. 3 despite his poor form. "Yes, batting at No. 3 has been working fine for me. I have no problem batting at that position. Batting higher up, I get a chance to finish off the game once I get my eye in. That way, I ensure that I stay till the end which not only helps me but also serves the cause of the team."

Kohli said that he always likes to prepare well before the match whether he is in good nick or not. However, he felt that it is more important for the team to perform as a unit.

"We should try to play well as a batting unit as the bowlers have been performing well. The top-order has to be more consistent."

When he was asked if the absence of some of the key players from the England Test series had made India's job easier in ODIs, he said that that was ECB's concern.

"We were ready to play the full team or any team that represents England. But we played better cricket in the last two games."

More stills

Keywords:Virat Kohli , ODIs , BCCI , PCA stadium , Asia Cup , ECB, cricket ,games,cricket news,sports news