Ben Affleck has won the top film honour for his Iran hostage drama, 'Argo' from the Directors Guild of America.

The win would normally be an indicator of Oscar success as the Directors Guild recipient nearly always goes on to claim the same prize at Hollywood's biggest night.

But the actor-turned filmmaker missed out on an Oscar directing nomination.

"I don't think that this makes me a real director, but I think it means I'm on my way," the BBC quoted him as saying.

In Argo, set amidst the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, Affleck also plays the lead role of a CIA agent entrusted with extracting six Americans from the country after the US embassy was stormed.

While Affleck was overlooked by the Academy for his directing role, the film has dominated other awards since the Oscar nominations, winning best director and best film at the Golden Globes and at the Critics Choice Awards.

Last weekend, 'Argo' was victorious at both the Producers Guild and the Screen Actors Guild awards, leaving Steven Spielberg's Civil War-era epic 'Lincoln' in its wake.

Many of the film professionals who vote in guild awards also cast ballots for the Oscars, so recognition from the DGA further seals Argo's status as best-picture front-runner at the Oscars on February 24

More stills

Keywords: Ben Affleck,Iran hostage drama,Argo, Guild of America, Oscar ,Directors Guild , Hollywood,directing nomination, BBC,CIA agent , Oscar nominations, Golden Globes , Critics Choice Awards, Screen Actors , Steven Spielberg, Civil War-era epic,Lincoln, DGA .