Much has been said about Mahendra Singh Dhoni's stupendous innings that sealed Australia's fate in the Chennai Test, and Greg Chappell feels that even though a lot of cricket remains to be played in the series, the Indian captain's epic 224 could well be the difference between the two sides in the end.

"Only MS could have played such a knock," said Greg, who arrived here on Monday night along with wife Judith on a private trip to deliver a lecture on 'Can India be the Brazil of cricket'.

"He has played several memorable knocks in one-day cricket, but this was the best I have seen him play in Test matches," Greg said about Dhoni, whom he had groomed during his 22-month tenure as the Team India coach.

Asked whether he was surprised by the criticism in the media and former India players calling for Dhoni's removal from Test captaincy, Greg said: "It is true that the Indian team under Dhoni looked below-par during their tour Down Under, but he has answered his critics in the best possible way. In my book he remains the best man to lead India in all forms of the game."

The man who shaped Indian cricket's destiny in a turbulent two-year phase has always maintained that Dhoni is a special talent. "Just look at the sheer workload he handles.

He not only leads India in all forms of the game, but also keeps wickets. And let us not forget the energy-sapping IPL," Greg pointed out.

"At a time when players all over the world are struggling to cope with their workload, it is amazing how Dhoni manages to play every game with the same intensity.

That he has done it successfully now for five years speaks volumes about Dhoni's fitness, mental strength as well as his commitment. India are lucky to have him," he added.

Talking about Dhoni's knock in the Chennai Test, Greg marvelled at the power he generates from a predominantly bottom-handed grip. "I have seen him smack a yorker-length delivery from James Anderson for a six.

It requires special talent. His success on a crumbling Chennai track stems from his ability to strike the ball hard on pitches where the ball tends to keep low. Had he scored just 124, the match would still have been in the balance.

The manner in which he attacked a tiring Australian attack, shielding the tailenders, truly makes him a match-winner," said Greg. Moises Henriques, too, came in for a lot of praise from the former Australian captain.

"It was good to see Henriques coming good at last. He has been on the fringe for a while. I hope he can be the all-rounder that Australia have been looking for, particularly after a question mark over Shane Watson's ability to contribute with the ball."

Greg agreed that in hindsight Australia would have benefited by playing an additional spinner in Chennai. "It was the sort of a track that looked uglier than it played. I guess a Xavier Doherty would have been more useful here," he opined.

He, however, warned India not to take Australia lightly in the remaining three Tests. "It will be a close series, but thanks to Dhoni, India do have a significant advantage."

More stills

Keywords: Mahendra Singh Dhoni,Greg Chappell , cricket ,Indian captain, wife Judith ,Team India coach,Test captaincy, IPL, Dhoni's fitness, James Anderson,Moises Henriques,Australian captain,Henriques , Shane Watson, spinner , Xavier Doherty ,cicket news,sports news