Thread: Chicken Roast

Default Chicken Roast

Chicken Roast (Kerala Style)

Chicken roast is one of the authentic,delicious menu item in restaurants.This is one of our family favorite as well.You may wonder the reason of posting this so late in my space,its simply because my hunger pangs here never allow me to take a picture when this is made at home.They are always ready with their plates before hand to enjoy when its really hot especially with rice or idiappam.

Ingredients
    chicken 3 lbs (refer notes)
    onion 3 large thinly sliced
    tomato 3 chopped
    ginger garlic paste 2tsp
    chilly powder 2 tsp
    coriander powder 1 1/2 tsp
    pepper powder 1 tsp
    garam masala 1 tsp
    turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
    cilantro 4-5 sprigs
    curry leaves
    lemon juice 2tsp(optional)
    oil 4 tbsp

Method

• Wash and cut the chicken in medium sized pieces.Drain the water completely and leave aside.
    • Heat oil in a pan and add the thinly sliced onions,saute until golden brown.(add a pinch of salt to fasten the process)
    • Add the ginger-garlic paste ,curry leaves and saute till raw smell disappears.
    • Add in the spice powders on low flame and saute till you get a nice aroma.
    • Add the chopped tomatoes and add 1/4 cup water.Combine well and cover,cook until the tomatoes becomes mushy and you get a good masala.
    • Slide the chicken pieces,mix until the masala completely coats the chicken.Cover and cook on medium flame.(Don't add in water as chicken will ooze out water.)
    • After about 10 minutes,give a quick stir and cover again to cook for another 7 minutes.
    • Uncover the lid,Keep stirring the mix until the water content evaporates completely on medium high flame and the masala is dry coated with the chicken.(Also,the chicken pieces get a brownish color too)
    • Remove from fire,add in the lemon juice;and garnish with chopped cilantro.
    • Serve with Idiappam(String hoppers)/appam / rice /chapathis.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's amazing. I would love to try.