Thread: ചമ്മന്തിപ്പൊടി

Default ചമ്മന്തിപ്പൊടി

കറിവേപ്പില :- രണ്ടു കെട്ട്.
    തേങ്ങ ചിരകിയത് :- ഒന്നര മുറി
    കുരുമുളക് :- ഒരു പിടി (വേണമെന്കില്* വറ്റല്* മുളക് വറുത്തു പൊടിക്കാം )
    വാളമ്പുളി :- കാല്* ഗ്ലാസ്
    ഉപ്പ് :- ആവശ്യത്തിന്

കറിവേപ്പിലയും തേങ്ങയും കുരുമുളകും എണ്ണ ചേര്*ക്കാതെ ചീനച്ചട്ടിയില്* ഇട്ടു ഇളം ചുമപ്പു നിറം ആകുന്നതു വരെ വഴറ്റുക/വറക്കുക . (കരിഞ്ഞു പോകരുത്.)

അതുനുശേഷം മിക്സിയില്* ഇട്ടു പൊടിക്കുക.
    ഇടയ്ക്കിടയ്ക്ക് വാളമ്പുളി ചേര്ക്കുക.
    ആവശ്യത്തിനു ഉപ്പും ചേര്ത്തു അധികം മിനുസം ആകാത്ത രീതിയില്* പൊടിക്കുക.

ഇടയ്ക്കിടയ്ക്ക് ഇളക്കി കൊടുത്താല്* വാളമ്പുളി നന്നായി ചേര്ന്നു കിട്ടും.

എരുവ് വേണമെന്കില്* അല്പം മുളക് പൊടി കൂടി ഇടാം.
    ഇനി ഇതൊരു കുപ്പിയില്* ആക്കിക്കോളൂ

Kerala Style Chammanthi Podi

To make this you require

Grated coconut – 1 full
    Red chilly – 20 nos

Curry leaves – 4 – 5 sprigs
    Shallots - 8 – 10

Pepper powder – according to your spice tolerance
    ginger - a small piece
    Tamarind – lemon size
    Salt to taste

Method

Heat a wide and thick bottomed pan. Add all the ingredients except the tamarind and dry roast till brown. It is a pain staking process, as you cannot leave the pan and move for even a minute. This is best tried some jobless afternoon when you have nothing to distract you. Keep stirring continuously, till it becomes uniformly brown.
    The ingredients before frying

Keep it in the side to cool.

Powder it and store it in a clean and dry bottle. It lasts long really long
    Beautiful chammanti podi

Simple isn’t it … okay maybe not so simple, but infinitely tasty.

it is great with rice and moru kachiyathu, or just hot rice and ghee. It is also a great side dish for biryani.

Points to remember

It is advisable to use slightly old (dry) coconut. I usually buy an extra bag of coconut and keep it in my freezer for a week and make the chammanthi posi the next week. This is to make sure that when we roast the coconut it does not let out oil.

I once tried to make chammanthi podi with fresh coconut (in my ignorance). The more I fried, the more oil it kept letting out, I lost patience and decided to grind it … disaster sighhh.

In case for some reason you decide you want to make chammanthi podi with fresh coconut there are a couple of things you can so here goes …

Before you fry the coconut extract the milk from the coconut. You can store the milk in the fridge and use as required.

If you have forgotten to extract milk and like me if you have coconut floating in its own oil, remove it after it is fully roasted (or fried), cool it and spread it on newspapers or kitchen tissue. Cover it with another paper and leave it overnight. The paper absorbs the oil, making the grinding easier.

More stills

Keywords:Chammanthi Podi, pan, tamarind ,cool,rice , moru kachiyathu, ghee, biryani, coconut, freezer, fridge , kitchen tissue,kerala food recipes