Stand-in captain Virat Kohli admitted that he missed the vast experience of Mahendra Singh Dhoni during pressure situation against West Indies as India lost a close encounter by one wicket in their first match of the Tri-series.

Dhoni, who suffered from cramps while batting didn't come out to field and it was Kohli who led the side.

"There were times when you are under pressure and you miss him (Dhoni) because he remains calm under pressure," a disappointed Kohli admitted at the post-match presentation ceremony on Sunday.

Kohli assessed that there was marked change in the behaviour of the wicket when West Indies batted.

"The way the wicket played in the second innings, the score wasn't enough, but it was completely different in the morning, it was damp, it became better for batting later on."

Kohli praised his bowlers for keeping them in the game but considered that they were unlucky as a few edges didn't carry to the fielders.

"We tried to take as many wickets as possible, one or two edges going to the fielders would have been different, we were close to winning it. There was a bit of spongy bounce in the morning and Narine was getting some turn. It was just a matter of one wicket. It was a great fight by us and good entertainment. West Indies had a great game," the young captain said.

West Indies' stand-in captain Kieron Pollard wasn't happy that the match went down to the wire.

"We find ways to get into these positions, but we won in the end. Teams of the past could have just fallen, that shows the belief of everyone in the team, victories such as these bring us together," a visibly satisfied Pollard said.

Pollard said that the main goal was to go to Trinidad with two wins and he is happy that they have been able to achieve that.

"We wanted to go to Trinidad with two wins, does not matter how we have done it, but we have. We should not be overconfident though, should win these sort of games easily. Thanks to the crowd for the support. Bravo (sitting out) was precautionary, we have Pakistan coming up, he has five or six days to get ready, hopefully he should be taking the mantle in Trinidad, with Ravi we are not sure."

Man of the match Johnson Charles, who struck an attractive 97 was happy that he could make amends after his struggle against Sri Lanka in the opening match of the tournament.

"This was a good innings as in the previous game, I struggled a bit. Myself and (Darren) Bravo have always batted well together as I enjoy batting alongside him," Charles said.

The 24-year-old opener admitted that the pitch flattened out in the second half.

"Wicket improved a bit as it got flatter and was more of a batting pitch. I would have liked to get three-figure mark and carry my team to victory. I am a bit disappointed about it," he concluded.

More stills

Keywords:Virat Kohli, Mahendra Singh Dhoni ,captain Kieron Pollard, Johnson Charles,Bravo ,cricket news,sports news