Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly has expressed confidence in Virender Sehwag, who struggling to regain his place in the national squad, saying he is the best opener after Sunil Gavaskar and he cannot be written off at this stage.

In a chat with a TV channel, Ganguly said, "Virender Sehwag is probably the best opening batsman I have seen after Sunil Gavaskar, his records speak about his ability."

Replying to a question on the possible comeback of Yuvraj Singh and Sehwag, Ganguly said, "Yuvraj SIngh has been India's great ODI player. Sehwag is 32-33, you can't write them off. Will they make a comeback, only time will tell because it depends on how they play and how many runs they get."

"People like Dhawan and Vijay came to the squad because guys like Sehwag and Gambhir failed. So that's a rule in sports, if you don't get runs, somebody else walks in. Once again I say you can't write off such great players."

Ganguly also lauded MS Dhoni's captaincy skill and said he is among the greatest captains. "I think he is one of the great captains. I have said that in the past that his record as captain is phenomenal, in one-day cricket he has won world titles, he is been part of a golden era of Indian cricket. He has done a fantastic job for India."

More stills

Keywords:Former Indian captain ,Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, national squad, Sunil Gavaskar , TV channel,Yuvraj SIngh , ODI player, MS Dhoni,captains, Indian cricket,cricket news,sports news