It took Sachin Tendulkar 27 long years to attend his second Sports Journalists Association of Mumbai (SJAM) awards for sportspersons, but when he finally did, he stole the show!

And he chose the occasion to play a quintessential master stroke. On Sunday, his son, Arjun, made his professional debut, in the Kanga League and was dismissed for just 1. The news spread like wildfire and soon TV channels began flashing it repeatedly. Realising immediately what a detrimental effect it would have on his 14-year-old son, Tendulkar made an emotional plea.

"My son has played his first official match today. He is passionate and madly in love with cricket. I would appreciate if everyone allows him to be himself and to have his own identity and just enjoy his cricket," Tendulkar said.

"Since the entire sports journalists' fraternity is sitting here, I'm going to be a protective father. When I started playing cricket, though my father was a professor and was into literature, at no stage I was under pressure to follow in my father's footsteps. There were no comparisons. He (Arjun) has just started his career, so it is a humble request if he can live his life like a normal 14-year-old, without thinking about anything else except falling in love with this sport," Tendulkar said.

The maestro, who was felicitated on the occasion, for having scoring hundred centuries in international cricket, wasn't critical of the media though and thanked the press for heaping praise on him throughout his career.

"You (the media) have been really supportive. I have been criticised too, but that is part and parcel of the game. When I look at the overall package, I can't complain," Tendulkar said, while recalling the first time that he attended an SJAM function (1986).

"I can't forget the rickshaw ride to Catholic Gymkhana. We had big kit bags with us. It was a memorable evening, especially as Sunil Gavaskar was present," he reminisced.

The show wasn't about Tendulkar alone, though. There were yesteryear sporting heroes in badminton champ Nandu Natekar, former chess GM Praveen Thipsay, former India cricket captain Ajit Wadekar, ex Indian hockey captain Viren Rasquinha and former snooker World Champion Yasin Merchant, besides current Mumbai stars Ajit Agarkar and Abhishek Nayar.

More Stills

Keywords:Sachin Tendulkar, Arjun, Kanga League , TV channels, cricket, international cricket,SJAM function, rickshaw ride , Catholic Gymkhana,badminton champ ,Nandu Natekar, former chess, GM Praveen Thipsay, former India cricket captain ,Ajit Wadekar, ex Indian hockey captain ,Viren Rasquinha , former snooker World Champion ,Yasin Merchant,Ajit Agarkar ,Abhishek Nayar