Gautam Gambhir might be Indian captain MS Dhoni's choice as the third opener but for the Delhi skipper the thought of a comeback into the Indian team is not foremost on his mind. Delhi's Ranji campaign is what he is seized with at the moment.

On Friday, Gambhir spoke to TOI about the young Indian team's chances in South Africa during the Tests and also Delhi's current season in domestic cricket.

When asked about the Indian batting lineup's inability to deal with the ferocity of the South African quicks, Gambhir quietly pointed out that it's the bowlers who have to seal the game for India.

"The batsmen can only set up the game for the team. But I think the bowlers have to buck up to get the positive results," the veteran of 51 Tests said during a quick chat at a promotional event organised by the Reebok running squad in the Capital on Friday.

Gambhir does not agree with the notion that that it's game over for the team. "It's just been two games that we have lost. Indian teams have always taken time to adapt abroad," the southpaw said.

He talked about "the desire to hang in during adverse spells" when asked about the approach needed to ride the hostile South African attack. "It's always tough to play Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel. And in South Africa, it's even tougher.

It's more about mental toughness and the will to hang in there. You have to be determined and gutsy in those conditions," he spoke from his experience of batting through the pain of a broken forearm during India's last sojourn in the same country.

Does he have a word of advice for Shikhar Dhawan? "I don't like talking about individuals. It's about the team. Everybody has to do well for the team to succeed," was the terse reply.

On whether he misses the company of Virender Sehwag at the top of the order in the Delhi team, Gambhir said: "It's always fun batting with Viru bhai at the top of the order. But it's his call to bat lower and he is entitled to do that. As a captain of the Delhi team I can say he is one innings away from getting back to form. He has been hitting the ball well so far."

The last time Gambhir played the entire Ranji season for Delhi, he led his team to the title and cemented his place in the Indian team in the process. Does he fancy a repeat now? "My aim is to win the Ranji Trophy for Delhi. I don't play for comebacks. If I get a call in the process, then it's good luck to me."

Gambhir More stills

Keywords: Gambhir,Indian captain, MS Dhoni,opener,Delhi skipper , Delhi's Ranji campaign, Indian team,batsmen , Reebok running squad , Shikhar Dhawan?,Virender Sehwag ,Viru bhai , Ranji season ,Ranji Trophy,cricket news,sports news