Thread: Gavi - Thekkady travel, Kerala

Default Gavi - Thekkady travel, Kerala

Pathanamthitta - Gavi Travel

Pathanamthitta is a district in Kerala in which the famous pilgrim centre Sabarimala is located. This 6 hour (140 km) forest route journey by KSRTC ordinary bus costs Rs 126. The route up to Aangamuzhy is inhabited. Further the road is narrow and is through virgin forest. The sighting of wild elephants is a matter of luck. The smell of elephants is frequently rushes the adrenalin of the tourist. We were lucky to see bisons on the route.

Pathanamthitta (12.20 pm) - Vadasserikkara - Perunad - Puthukala junction - Chittar (28 km, 1 h) - Aangamuzhy (12 km) - Moozhiyar dam, Sabarigiri reservoir & hydroelectric project - Kakki dam - Pampa dam - Gavi reservoir - KTDC Gavi - Periyar Tiger Reserve (Idukki Dt) - Vallakadavu (Pullumedu junction, 8 km from Vandiperiyar) - Vandiperiyar - Kumily (6.30 pm).

Sabarimala is 57 km from Vadasserikkara. A 20 km route deviation takes one to Perumthenaruvi waterfalls (20 km from Vadasserikkara).

Moozhiyar dam

The Kumily via Gavi bus reached Aangamuzhy at 2 pm and we had our lunch. Kumily is further 100 km away. After a 15 min lunch break, we started our journey through forest to Moozhiyar dam. At 3 pm, we reached the Moozhiyar KSEB AE Office. Gavi is further 41 km via Pachakanam. The bus reached Pachakanam at 4.20 pm, which is 30 km from Vandiperiyar. Then the route was through Pampa, Gavi and Vandiperiyar. From Vandiperiyar, we reached Kumily at 6.30 pm (14 km).

Kakki dam

Pullumedu is 24 km from Vandiperiyar accessible by Jeep during the Sabarimala pilgrim season.From their pilgrims can reach Sannidhanam (SabarimalaAyyappa temple) by walk.

Gavi reservoir boating

Pathanathitta bus via Gavi starts at 5.20 am from Kumily, reaching PTA at 11.30 am.
    There is a 6.20 am Kumily bus from Pathanamthitta via Gavi. Many tourists use this bus to visit Gavi. One can return by the 3 pm Kumily - Pathanathitta bus reaching Pathanathitta at 7.30 pm.

Default Thekkady

Thekkady is a popular tourist destination in Idukki district of Kerala and is 4 km from Kumily town. Kumily has good road connection to Kottayam via NH 220 (100 km, 3 hour) and to Theni/Madurai in Tamil Nadu. Kumily town has all the facilities - Hotel, lodge, shopping, spices, antiques - for the tourists.

A tourist has to take Rs 25 ticket for entering the Periyar Tiger Reserve. The boat ticket is available from the landing station. It is better to reserve the ticket online before going to the queue. There is a tea stall near the ticket booking centre, which serves tea, snacks, Idli vada, cool drinks etc to tourists.

Boat timings : 7.30 am, 9.30 am, 11.15 am, 1.30 pm & 3.30 pm.

Ticket rate Rs 150. Still Camera Rs 25, Video Camera Rs 200. Duration 1 hour 30 minutes. Four boats were there for the service.

The best time to watch wild elephants is the first boat service during summer months (March/April). During the trip we were lucky to spot 4 wild elephants, then on another occasion a mother & baby elephant.

I was lucky to get an upper deck seat for the 11.15 am boat trip after a long 5 hour waiting!. Go for online boat ticket from ktdc.com avoiding the long queue.

Huge tree trunks were in the lake was a nice sight. Water birds have nest on these tree trunks.

Trekking along the Periyar lake periphery can also be done in a day (advance booking required, summer is the best period). Beware of leech bite.

Dos & Donts

1. Please wear life jackets during boating.
    2. Be silent, it will help you to spot the wildlife.
    3. Please do not stand all of a sudden when you see wildlife.
    4. Boat will not stop for photography.
    5. Seeing wildlife is a matter of luck. You are not in a zoo!.

Thanks for the useful info.....
    this is one of my fav place at Kerala.

Default Where to Stay at Kumily

Karthika Tourist Home, Thekkady road, Kumily. Ph : 04869 222146, 9995583655 : Budget accommodation @ Rs 1000
    Periyar House by KTDC @ Rs 2200

3 star Hotels

Michaels Inn @ RS 2000
    Elan hill resort @ RS 4000
    Silver Crest @ RS 4600
    Abad Green Forest @ RS 5000

4 star Hotels

Green Woods
    Spice Grove @ RS 2500
    Springdale resort, Vandiperiyar @ RS 3600
    Aranya Nivas by KTDC inside the Periyar Tiger reserve, opened by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru @ RS 4500 (30 rooms)
    Tusker Trails by Club Mahindra @ RS 4800

Carmelia Haven, Vandanmedu @ RS 5000
    Thekkady wild corridor @ RS 6500
    Cardamom Country by Muthoot @ RS 6600
    Shalimar Spice garden @ RS 10000
    Lake Palace hotel by KTDC, Located inside the Periyar Tiger reserve, accessible by boat @Rs 20000. Entry to the resort is possible only before 5 p.m. and after 6 a.m (6 rooms).

5 star Hotels

Holiday Vista @ RS 5000
    The elephant Court resort @ Rs 7500
    Spice village resort by CGH @ Rs 12700

Tourist peak season : Nov to Feb.

I have a great wish to visit Kumily. I never see this place before in my life but now I have a plan to visit this place in upcoming vacations after my boston to niagara with my fellows. Perfection, this information is very helpful for me. Now, I can easily choose a best place to stay there.