Thread: Migratory birds of Pallithode, Kerala

Default Migratory birds of Pallithode, Kerala

Pallithode is a virgin land of paddy fields, narrow canals, Chinese fishing nets, boats, ducks and of course migratory birds. The vast paddy fields are used for paddy cultivation for one season and then for growing prawns/pearl spotfish. The majority of the area is in water and narrow land strips leads to village huts. Toddy shops near the Chavady road serves tasty spicy fish curries along with toddy.

Transport services is still to be improved. Water scarcity and electricity is still out of reach in villages. During mid March, the water logged fields are dried using a huge belt driven pump. When the field water level lowers, tens of thousands of birds fill the field for praying fish. The best time to watch birds is morning and evening during the first few days of paddy field pumping.

The common birds found are eranda (geese), kadal kakka (sea gull), vellari (white Heron) , cormorants etc. Now a days, luckily, hunting of birds is less common in this area. Photographing birds/ bird watching require time and patience.

Pallithode is in Cherthala taluk of Alappuzha District, Kerala. It is 15 km from Cherthala via Thuravur, Chavady.

White Heron

Night Heron

Double crested Cormorant

Sea gull

Goose

Pallithode region is filled with paddy fields, narrow canals, Chinese fishing nets, boats, ducks and birds. I have seen a lot of birds during my trip of Pallithode. Few of them I have never seen before in my life. I also liked its natural beauty.