the "word" hacker in itself sounds ugly and menacing, doesnt it? but are they as bad as everyone says?

first of all, people need to get a few things straight:

1. 20 - 30 years ago, a hacker was defined in the dictionary as "a computer enthusiast", as simple as that. so what happened to the definition they give us today - "someone who uses acquired knowledge to do malicious acts or break into the computer system of a company or government".

what?!?! whatever happened to the "computer enthusiast" theory?

i know you and i read about these hackers who break into FBI computers to reak havoc in companies by slipping in a virus and seem hellbent on making the world a terrible place.

But let me ask you this: do you ever hear of any good hackers? Do you ever hear of hackers who work to improve a company's overall security, do you hear of any hackers who use their knowledge to a good use? very very few cases, i can tell you.

or is it that the someone is trying to stop people from becoming hackers? because to me it seems like someone is trying to keep us under control, someone who is a far greater menace than a bunch of teen hackers.

the government?
another agency?
who knows?

the less people know, the easier they are to control - fact of life, but here's the catch - it is in human nature to ask questions and we are curious if we dont know something- which is why there are so hackers around the world.

some of them are bad, in fact a LOT of them are bad (i wont lie and try to cover it up), and they do destroy data or create malicious programs or code with the intent to do damage, but can these people really be called hackers? i dont think so, their knowledge only extends to the point where destruction is their main aim;

real hackers do not have mentiality or these objectives >

which leads me to another point. what is a hacker? you can call an 18 year old you sits in his dark bedroom all day typing away and drinking coffee with no real friends a hacker, but what makes him a hacker? because i dont think its what he physically does, but what he KNOWS, which is what so many companies and governments consider a "real threat".

it took me a while to type this thing up, and if anyone is interested, please reply in this thread... i'd like to hear from you guys.

later, ruptured :-)[/b]