• No

0 0%
  • Yes but not always

0 0%
  • 367 100.00%

Thread: Usability in Web Layout

Default Usability in Web Layout

Hello,
    I wanted opinions about web design layout. Web designing became a business long time back. Thousands of websites are being launched everday.
    And the best part is among every thousand websites launched 900 sites look the same.
    Web Designing is an art and there are very few who have mastered it. Today designers just design websites for money. Ofcourse money is important but do we ask ourself that is what we designed usable and looks a piece of art. Art does not mean a site has to look complicated with lot of colors.
    Web is a information store house. Its used only to pass information. The main things that we should ask ourselves while making a site are:
    1.> There was a reson to launch a site. Does our design fulfills it?
    2.> Are a lot of graphics n flash animations required to fulfill that reason?
    3.> Is the information accesible in the most easiest?

I'm Harish a web designer and also a student of Architecture. The architecture studies help me in web designing too. In architecture we have to consider a lot of things when designing a structure.

If you visit www.2advanced.com the best site in flash then you will see that even they have provided very little animation once the site is loaded completely.

I will discuss more about usability and layout design in my next posts.

Vote: Yes but not always.

Flash is useful in websites in only three cases, in my opinion. It is most useful on entertainment sites, such as Homestar Runner (http://homestarrunner.com/). The benefits are fairly obvious.

Second, flash can also be used on a personal or fan site, which can use a certain degree of animation to keep up interest. Personal sites are generally not geared towards information or data, but are rather often used as blogs or indexes about the creator or his interests. They are sometimes art as well, designed to intrigue or impress the viewer.

Third, to a much smaller degree, it can also be used on professional sites. However, companies sould be very careful if they decide to use this. They should never use flash for any essential aspect of their site (such as navigation) unless they provide the viewer with a flash/no-flash alternative. A very good example of this is the homesite of Kinky Logic, a webdesign company. (http://www.kinkylogic.com/). Although Flash has become nearly universal, being installed on most computers, it has several drawbacks for a professional site. It requires a large amount of server bandwidth. If badly designed, it can be a source of annoyance for viewers who cannot use conventional HTML features like back, refresh, or text selection. As well, flash always has more loading time than the HTML equivalent, which can be a major annoyance for dial-up users.

Really, it all depends on the audience the website is trying to reach. If it's aiming for a corporate audience, flash should be limited to demonstrations or showcases, or advertisements of services provided. A good example of this is the Internet Security Systems website, which provides Flash demos of it's products but no Flash for the general website. Click on View Demo on this page to see an example: http://www.iss.net/products_services...or_desktop.php

Default Hi

You're right man. It should be used only when its actually needed.

So please visit my site for an article about usable web design. Its wriiten by a person whoes in this business and has wriiten it very well.

And soon i will upload my own articles on tips on professional web design compiled from many sources i had found on net.

my website is www.dreamsonline.net

See u soon