Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first computer?

Default Your first computer?

Do you remember your first desktop system?

My first PC brought in in 97 was 486DX2 that worked on 100 MHz with "Turbo" mode and a lower fequency on normal mode.

Initially it was MS DOS, then installed Windows 95. Later i tried to install Windows 98, but was dead slow.

At that time, most of the work was done on Visual Basic 4 and later 5. Now i don't remember Visual Basic as never used it for past several years.

Post about your first computer and computer experiance, Let us remember our good old computer :lol:
    Become PHP Expert in 30 days
    FreeMarriage.com - Free Online Matrimonial
    FlashWebHost.com - Professional Web Hosting, Designing.

Default My first computer experience

I learned computers in 1992. That time MS DOS was the powerful operating system which comes in a 5.4 inch floppy and I learned and tried most of the commnads on PC (Black and white monitor with no mouse).

After mastering DOS, I learned C and Unix. Then comes the new era OS - GUI Windows. It was a shocking news for DOS lovers.

When I got a PC to try, made a C program to test my PC's speed. I was shocked .. ..The PC was not responding for a long time. Finally I got the answer from computer after 40 minutes.

That was my PC's speed during 90's.

The question I tried was,

When I multiply a number with 1.5, the number is changed to a new number - it's first and last digits get interchanged.

Let the no be 123. Then 123 * 1.5 = 321.

I enjoyed a lot with my PC, an unforgettable time with C programs and TSRs.

My first PC is still there. Meaning some parts of that PC still work.
    It was a pretty decent PC at that time with 17'' monitor a 64Mb graphics, 2.4G intel CPU, 256MB ram etc.
    Initially due to good config I was addicted to gaming. I used to play for 5-6 +hours a day. But later on I was facinated with the power of scripting and coding. And spend hours in that. Later I learned C and then basic HTML. I loved to paly with windows to generate some errors and then to solve them. At that time I was using win2k which is still my fav OS. But I dont use it now bcoz many soft now doesnt support win2k which I want to support.
    Then it was XP era. I crashed XP on the first hour of install. so had to reinstall it again. With the pleasant GUI I liked XP. But I hated it for unnecessary resource consumption. During the same time I got another PC from college under concession as a student. Since it was cheap PC I experimented a lot with it and nothin happened to it till now. I install all leading linux distributions and learned some basics commands. All this was on my own. Later on I even gave a seminar on Linux on how to install and basic commands. Got highest marks for that. 24/25

Also during this I was involved in breaking protections of CDS, recovering disks and data, good amount of video editing with virtualdub and audio editing with audacity.
    I moved from my pirated softwares to some good freewares.

After I got internet connection I was opened to a big library. I cleared many of my doubts by using msn and googling. Then I came to know the power of forums and blogs. Right now I'm a registered member of 70 blogs and forums and I visit them atleast once in 3-4 days.

PC is very good source of knowledge if you take it positively. When you have internet connection you'll be also introduced to pron and other stuff. Enjoy it but dont neglect the knowledge which a simple dial-up connection can give you...

my firt PC was a celeron 1100 Mhz coputer with 256MB ram :D
    first i tried windows 98 then ME and after that 2000 then XP.

i cant remeber perfectly like this ..it has a old samsung monitor and no cpu :D

My first computer is... 486dx, with 250MB HDD :D

Default My First Computer

I bought my first PC on August 2000. I wanted it to be most up-to-date so that it will not be obsolete in another year or so.

I wanted it to run fast when connected to the internet. My friend introduced me to AMD 750 Mhz processor rather than Pentium III 800Mhz which he said was comparable. I hoped I did not make a wrong decision. It was not real good because the system often hangs when connected to internet. Sometimes, it just rebooted itself when disconnecting from internet. I was then using Windows 98 second edition.

After that I changed to Windows Me and it worked fine. Then I changed to Windows XP to meet online income tax filing purposes. Now I am still using my first computer.

Sweet memories and a durable computer.

mine was an intel 286, 8 meg of memory, a 40 meg hard drive if i remember right, we ran a dos program that gave us hyper text capability. it could launch programs and open text files and other text pages. and I actually think the software is still cool. i cant remember the name tho. it was just before the internet went public

we ran dos 3, then 4, then 5, then 6
    then we went to windows 3.0, then 3.1,
    for windows 95, we had to get a new computer... a pentium 133mhz, probably the most stable computer we've ever owned,, and we installed a tv card, it died many many years later when we were using it as only a tv.
    what fun.

my first computer was a 586 with 32MB ram......floppy......4G HDD....14'CRT.....It ran well with win98,and then "me".

My first computer is bought in 2002 in my university life.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast