Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spammers! HELP!!

Default Spammers! HELP!!

I notice that I am getting 1 to 3 spammer registrations almost daily on my forums by "new members" who want to use "Simplified Chinese" or some other outlandish foreign language. They sometimes have strange e-mail addresses and sometimes also have obviously spammer website addresses (which don't even work). At this time, all I know to do is to permanently delete them. But then, of course, I get 2 more. :roll: Also, I have been told by another forums site Administrator who owns his own forums, "trust me - it's not a matter of if you will be cracked, but when!" What can I do to also prevent any or ALL of this from happening?? Can you please help me with these problems?

Default Re: Spammers! HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinthemists
    I notice that I am getting 1 to 3 spammer registrations almost daily on my forums by "new members" who want to use "Simplified Chinese" or some other outlandish foreign language. They sometimes have strange e-mail addresses and sometimes also have obviously spammer website addresses (which don't even work). At this time, all I know to do is to permanently delete them. But then, of course, I get 2 more. :roll: Also, I have been told by another forums site Administrator who owns his own forums, "trust me - it's not a matter of if you will be cracked, but when!" What can I do to also prevent any or ALL of this from happening?? Can you please help me with these problems?
    Assign Forum Moderator(s) in your board... :D

Default Re: Spammers! HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth03
    Assign Forum Moderator(s) in your board... :D
    I do have Forum Moderators in my site. The spammers are registering for the board itself. I have it set up so that I have to approve any new members in order to allow me to check them out first and, therefore, cut them off at the pass, so to speak, if necessary. I also have it set up so that they have to "enter a code defined by an image when registering" but even that doesn't seem to hold them back. Is there simply no way to stop this?

And...is there ANYTHING available through bizhat to prevent being "cracked" as my Administrator friend has warned me will happen? He assures me that this is enevitable and only a matter of time before it does happen. Have any of the other bizhat forums site "owners" ever had this happen to them? If so, is there a solution? Or, better yet, a preventative measure (hopefuly a surefire one!)???

you could try banning there IP address's or ban them by server i.e. *usa1-dot-com (havn't done 5 posts yet to enter the domain properly) is one i have had to ban for spamming.

How can I make sure that I don't ban a good IP like AOL, for instance? I just want to try to make sure that these idiots cannot continue to register on my site :x

an IP address is assigned to each PC connected to the net so if you ban by IP you are only banning that 1 person, only problem there is the person can turn off there modem/router then reconect and get assigned another IP address. the ones i had spamming my forum i banned there server which will stop anybody using that server from connecting, so yes there is the risk of banning people you don't want to but so far it seems to have worked for me.
    I'm no expert on this and am trying hard myself to get some questions anwserd from this forum to no avial.
    hopefully one of the mods on here can help but i think due to the amount of members and questions that the mods have to answer you just have to sit and wait for a positive answer.

hi your very luck just 4 spam every day me i cant even count. thats why i disabled my account for now. i installed different kinds of mod before but it works only for 3 days, maybe we can install the mod that this forum used. they said it prevents the spammers.

Okay...I've got another new spammer today ("acnepro" :roll: ) so I thought I'd try to ban his/her IP. Well, the registration form doesn't SHOW the IP #. The only thing I actually can ban is the spammers e-mail address (*@hotpop.com). Where would a registrant's IP be shown in the registration form??? I can't find it anywhere...

I have a lot of people register that are spamming. I changed it to where Admin has to activate new members. 8)

I delete the spammers and never activate them.

That's exactly what I've been doing. Only I, as Admin, can activate new members to my site. I have my site set so that I get an e-mail every time someone registers. I then go in and look at their application. If there is anything the least bit suspicious, I permanently delete them. But, it would really be helpful if there was some way to obtain the IP's of these spammers so that I could put the offending IP's on my ban list. That might eliminate some of them much sooner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast