Thread: new user registration IP question...

Default new user registration IP question...

Where do I find the IP address in the registration form of new registrants? I am continuing to get spammers, some of them filthy, and want to find a way to ban their IP #s. So far the only thing I can do is ban their e-mail addresses but I could wind up with a cazillion of those! What can I do to protect my forum site from these spammers?? PLEASE HELP!!

As far as I can tell , the only way to ban their IP is to wait for them to post! You can find phpBB tutorial on google. Perhaps someone had the same problem as you!

thunder11

That's the problem...these spammers have no intention of ever posting...they're just spammers, some of them vulgar. That's why I want to try to find out how to ban their IP numbers. They have hundreds of bogus e-mail addresses that I can ban but that would create a never ending list of banned e-mail addresses. Is there no way to locate an IP# on these spammers when they initially register?

Ok you can find yout their ip addresses from the mail header. That could be one of the solution. The idea is to ban them when they send the first mail. I know that viewing mail source is pain in the ... but I cant remember any other idea.
    thunder11

Although the spammers list an e-mail address in their registration information, they never send any e-mail nor do they actually ever intend to. All they are doing is spam registering. So, I still only have the initial e-mail address which does not give me any further source info.

As for banning them, I delete them the moment I determine that they are spammers.

Can any of the BizHat Moderators/Admin give me any idea as to how to deal with this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinthemists
    Although the spammers list an e-mail address in their registration information, they never send any e-mail nor do they actually ever intend to. All they are doing is spam registering. So, I still only have the initial e-mail address which does not give me any further source info.

As for banning them, I delete them the moment I determine that they are spammers.

Can any of the BizHat Moderators/Admin give me any idea as to how to deal with this problem?
    Hello,

You have control over all of your members in your Administration Control Panel. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth03
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinthemists

Hello,

You have control over all of your members in your Administration Control Panel. 8)
    True...and the moment that I am able to detect a spammer registrant, I permanently delete them from my membership list. I guess that my question now is, how do I find out what these spammer registrants' IP numbers are so that I can put them on a ban list? They make up billions of phony e-mail addresses so banning all of those would make a list from here to Pluto. So...is there any way to obtain their IP numbers from their initial registration information in order to ban them? And...is there any possible way to protect my site from possibly being cracked by one of these idiots?