Thread: What is SMTP??

Default What is SMTP??

I read through some old posts and saw I needed to enable my SMTP.
    I have done that, but have no clue to what to put in the SMTP server address or User name - It might help if I knew what SMTP stand for or what it does.
    Can anyone assist??

No need to enable SMTP.

If you need to enable SMTP, make sure your ISP provide your SMTP access, you need an email account with SMTP (not SMTPS) to use the feature.
    Become PHP Expert in 30 days
    FreeMarriage.com - Free Online Matrimonial
    FlashWebHost.com - Professional Web Hosting, Designing.

I think it stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol. That is about all I know.

Default What's up??

Thank you homebrew for the definition.
    And thank you Nokia for responding, but I have to say I find it odd that you chose to respond to my post about SMPT and ignored my URGENT post about my users not being able log in to my forums. I also have a post that has been ignored about formating and a debug error message when I try to reach my users by email - 125 views and only one response.
    Also no response to private support questions from over a week ago.
    If I am having this much trouble with Bizhat with only 4 users, I shutter to think what will happen once my forums grow.
    I think I am done with Bizhat.

Hi Denise
    I am pleased to have seen your post and on all your issue I must admit I cannot help you on any as I am in a similar position to you.

I also have the free forum on my site . I dont have any problems at all with people being able to register and now have over 20. But I do have other problems and have posted these im forum and through the contact and I also have not had a reply to any. (I will paste it if you like. )

I think Homebrew you and me should try to start this post as a regulars post. (Other regulars will eventually find)

One problem is there are people coming here and posting rubbish, so genuine questions are not being seen or answered. I have today used the PM with some questions so will get back to you on whether I get a reply.

David

David,
    I don't have a forum yet - I am watching this forum to learn the kinds of problems that can occur. You are right about the number of junk postings here. Some people are just lazy.

Denise

I am now having the same problem as you. I know of three people who have registered and there user name shows as registered, but they have not been given a confirmation email to activate . I have sent email with no reply either to bizhat, and I have also sent a pm so will let you know what happens.

David

Homebrew/ Denise FYI
    This is a posting I made which I also have got no replies to :

I have taken the free forum which looks great. My wish list for it would be

1. It would be good if a "return to home" feature was shown on the forum, and the URL of the webmasters site could be added . Or the banner can be linked to a different URL

2. The administrator should be able to remove the members list icon.
    I note that function is not on this forum and I believe it is better when removed. If not removed the administrator should be able to choose what information is made available

3 Some people are not receiving the confirmation email and contacting me but I have no control over this and support at Bizhat does not reply

SMTP is Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and it is used for Sending mail from your computer to your ISP . POP protocol is used for receiving mail from your ISP.
    What is protocol? Those are sets of "instructions" and why how two applications are communicating witch each other. FOr example: you write your mail in Outlook and click send button. At that moment your outlook sends one packet to Mail Server asking for permission to transfer your mail. After authenticating outlook is sending mail trough SMTP protocol which is understandable "language" for both -- your outlook and Mail Server". But, remember when your outlook is using SMTP for sending your Mail Server is using POP for receiving that mail. Once he receive your mail he look into a mail header and try to find the way to send that mail to some guy jonny @ something . com . When sending Mail Server is using SMTP and finally if Jonny is online he is using POP on his outlook to receive mail that you just send. So you see SMTP and POP are two protocols ment for sending and receiving. You cant send and receive your mail with same protocol.
    thunder11

Just to let regulars know that sometimes on your own forum . A person registers and does not receive an activation code via email. As an admin you can access the user through management and tick activate to resolve this.

Regarding mail notification . I realise I was wrong. The user can choose whether to be notified or not.

Would be good though if the banner could have a URL link of admins choice though

By the way love it here, and Guttu is the man

David