Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I install XP professional over existing XP Home?

Default Can I install XP professional over existing XP Home?

Hi all:

I have a question.
    I have a compaq presario laptop which currently has Windows XP Home Edition. Now, I would like to install Windows XP Professional latest FULL version in it. Can i install like that? Will that affect the functionality of some of the programs? If YES, can anyone suggest me some of the issues that I need to be watching while installing?

Any other suggestion regarding this issue is appreciated.

Thanks y'll.

Andy

yes it will install over xp home. make sure to choose repair installation and then it will install and leave your dll's and critical system files intact. :lol:

First of all I am a novice when it comes to OS and system installations, etc. So, excuse me if I'm asking stupid questions. At what point during instalation I have to watch out for "chose repair installation"? I mean, will there be any window asking to pick the repair option?

My situation is: my office computer came with professional (with softwares like AutoCAD, ArcGIS, etc...) and many times I felt the need to use my laptop for my office work. So, just thought that using the "frequently-used-work-related-softwares" installed on similar OS (professional) might be a good idea. I may be wrong here, but please suggest on this and if possible a step-by-step process of installation.

Thank you once again.

yep easily done...but the best thing to do is to reformat

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar.bizhat.com
    you can't just readily reformat a notebook hardrive, since most companie do not give you all the critical software that comes with the computer, or setup files for the hardware. Also by reformating the hardrive you also void the warrenty for your laptop.

If you were to upgrade from home to Pro, I suggest getting the pro upgrade, rather than having the full install (that's good if you are starting from scratch) I also suggest asking Compaq and inquire about making an upgrade of that type, (so if it screws up, it's there fault, and not yours). this is from my own experiences btw.

You should be able to upgrade it easily, just make sure you have the driver CD's that came with your computer. I would buy XP Upgrade and not Full. But in my opinion, I would just stay with Home Edition.

You will probably have to make back up files and reload them when you put professional on there =]

Quote Originally Posted by madboyv1
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar.bizhat.com
    you can't just readily reformat a notebook hardrive, since most companie do not give you all the critical software that comes with the computer, or setup files for the hardware. Also by reformating the hardrive you also void the warrenty for your laptop.

If you were to upgrade from home to Pro, I suggest getting the pro upgrade, rather than having the full install (that's good if you are starting from scratch) I also suggest asking Compaq and inquire about making an upgrade of that type, (so if it screws up, it's there fault, and not yours). this is from my own experiences btw.
    more than that,
    you will need to find all the software yo need
    like ms office
    etc.
    you might need it!!
    in my place,
    we need cstar.
    i am a guy doing this things.
    find me if you are in malaysia!

Yes, you can install . But the correct installation driver is a question in the new operating system.

you will also need to find all the required driver
    like your modem 's driver
    etc.
    Lastly the softwares!
    Thats all, folks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast