Thread: Dowry ,good or bad?

Default Dowry ,good or bad?

What do you say about dowry system?

Default Prohibit

I see nothing good in dowry..... A gift demanded or given as a precondition for a marriage. What is wrong with just saying "I Do?"
    From what I know about dowry, it has subjected woman to cruelty and harassment by her husband and his relatives. Some woman have died from such abuse. That is way India outlawed the practice.

It has also lead to a psychological criminal intent,, where women in India are filing false claims to get back at her husband or relatives and have them arrested, convicted and put in prison.

Like I said: I see nothing good in dowry.

The dowry system is so deeply rooted in Indian culture, that sometimes one feels that there's going to be no way out - at least not for another century.
    Even modern, well-educated families start saving up money for their daughter's dowry as soon as she is born, so what can one expect from the uneducated masses, whose only form of education is tradition?

Default Education

Some new laws that are put in place to control certain behaviors never really work, and sometimes cause more damage. I'm a true believer in education in helping to understand there's a better way. Women around the world are leaving these traditional demands. I'm really not familiar with Indian culture.

Like I said, some laws will cause more harm than good. The US has more people in prison than any country in the world, and from non-violent crimes. It comes from the longest waged war the US has declared with no end in site. 80% of the people in prison are drug related crimes from the "Drug War" the US is raging.

There's got to be a better way!

Sorry, for getting off subject,,,,,, Laws sometimes cannot control certain behaviors, even from the threat of jail. Dowry law that was put in place, will jail a lot of people, and for what? Maybe the choice should be made from the daughter and her family before entering a marriage if it should be a dowry condition. Educated women would lead the way to a better way.

Who cares, it's the couples fault for making the wrong decision.