Thread: Is TV better than books?

Smile Is TV better than books?

Is TV better than books?
    Do you think TV is better than books. For both arguments, state why you think one is better than the other.

My argument is that books are better because
    1. There are no advertisements in books. Even if there are (e.g. magazines) you can simply flick through the ads.
    2. TV's require electricity and power. They also need to be set up and they can break down too. There is no need for electricity or power for books. Save energy.
    3. Books are portable and can be carried around. TV's are less portable.
    4. On TV, you are given are limited number of programs to choose from at any one time. There is a huge selection of books in the library.
    5. Watching TV only involves passively watching and listening, whilst reading involves actively engaging in the text (i.e. reading). Actively engaging in a task is better way to learn than through passively observing. Also, when reading, you improve your literacy.
    6. In society, it is reading and more generally literacy that is valued. We are provided with stacks of paperwork, catalogues, handouts, academic readings (for university students), newspapers etc.

Well, a book has the conveniance of being able to pick up whenever, and wherever you are. So although I would rate books higher, I will put down a book if theres somthing on Tv I want to watch.

I like books when I get a good one. But, TV is great for when you just want to drift asleep and not strain your eyes, because TV definitely will help you fall asleep!

i prefer book, becouse we can read while travelling.

i like tv better cause there is a lot of channels

I think books are better, actually, I do not own a television set. Sometimes i miss having a telly and think about the happy days in the past when I was watching Father Ted and other tasteless, british sitcoms. But mostly I do not care for tv, not with the Internet and books, and audio books also. I think audio books are great when doing household work and sewing.