Thread: Windows XP and Windows XP : Reinstall or repair Windows XP

Default Windows XP and Windows XP : Reinstall or repair Windows XP

To repair or reinstall Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP, complete the following procedure while you are logged on as an administrator: 1. Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer: a. Click Start, and then click Run.
    b. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP or Windows XP Service Pack 1 installation media.

2. Test to determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, skip the remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next step.
    3. Complete an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, a repair of Windows XP, or reinstall Windows XP. For additional information about how to complete an in-place upgrade or repair of Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    315341 How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    4. To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

that one is update your windows!
    it won't turn from me to xp!!
    get a cd of windows xp.
    backup your files,
    find all the driver information
    (installer disk)
    format harddisk or upgrade using cd if you want,
    install windows!

as far as "repairing" is concerned - when I last tried to install SP1 on my WinXP I couldn't log in after reboot 'cos I got a message that my key is invalid :| (SP1 checks it at the beginning)

Repairing windows rarely works...it's really frustrating

yeah. If you repair windows there are going to be problems in your hardwares. Sometimes windows cannot detect them.

I think installing SP2 fixs certain errors as well. If it does not work, I would recommend reinstalling the OS, instead of trying to fix it. It won't take that long, and your system will be more stable that way.