41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Windows

28 68.29%
  • 2. linux based

13 31.71%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux vs Windows

Default Linux vs Windows

Could someone help me understand which is better Linux or Windows and which distro of Linux or version of Windows. I'm pretty knowledgable of windows but am hearing alot of stuff about linux, mabey even a possible IBM home computer with linux pre-loaded.

Im using Windows XP Pro and Windows 98 SE at the moment , but my dad Uses Linux Redhat and Linux Suse , im not that good at Linux but sometimes i use knoppix , its a bootable OS that you can just boot easy from the cd no install needed...

Linux is free also so legal to download and windows not , and linux is more saftier and stable , too bad that there arent much games for linux

So, is Linux good if you are not a gamer?

Forgive my stupid questions.

Well for stablility it is good , but there arent much populair games on Linux , as far as i know is doom the best game on linux at the moment , so linux is not a great solution for a gamer , simpley : becouse there arent good games for it..

You cant play windows games on an linux OS , well with an windows emulator would it be possible but it wont be good for 100%

and it wasnt an stupid quastion

Default Linux vs. Windows

Depend of wich game you want to play.... The biggest games comes in a Linux version, but smaller games doesnt...
    I use Linux AND Windows on the same computer, and feel fine with that. I Winodws to play in, and Linux to surf on the net, AND I NEVER GET SPYWARE:D
    But I dont think Linux can replace Windows so long they dont have support for more games...

What about Web publishing, I use NetObjects 8, Would I need an emulator? and what is porting all about?

Well there are alternatives but can you look at the maker of your program and then look if your program supports Linux , then you can run it without emulator

Yes no spyware and no virusses i really like that too :)

Using WINE you can run lots of M$ applications under linux without loosing the speed. Try to find your application here: http://appdb.winehq.org/

yes my dad uses wine too its the stablest windows emulator , thanks for the link i was forgotten to post it

I use Both Windows 2003 and CentOS (Compiled from SRPM of Red Hat Enterprise Linux).

I prefer Windows as my Desktop OS. There are lot of reason why you can't leave with out Windows, few are

1. Photoshop - Still linux don't have a good replacement for Adobe Photoshop, shortly adobe will release Linux versions for Adove Applications.

2. If you are a Flash Developer - Macromedia Flash can't work on Linux. Not sure any replacement available on Linux.

3. Sharing - you will find it difficult to share files with your friends.

4. Programs - if you are a software developer and clients use Windows.

Linux is good for Application Server, Web Hosting, etc... It will take some more time for Linux to replace windows desktops. May be some one should develop a better X Windows System and more Application Programs available on Linux platform.
    Become PHP Expert in 30 days
    FreeMarriage.com - Free Online Matrimonial
    FlashWebHost.com - Professional Web Hosting, Designing.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast