Thread: Television Effects On Children

Default Television Effects On Children

More fondly known as the ‘idiot box’, television has become a necessary evil in today’s world. It has become an indispensable household commodity. This makes television accessible to children since a very tender age. Though television is a potent medium of mass communication, it has not only good, but also bad effects on children. This implies that parents should make the facility available to their child judiciously. Given below are some vitals points on how TV affects your child.

Television Effects on Children

Good Effects

* Television gives exposure to children on different cultural experiences.
    * Television also keeps children aware of current events and news related items.
    * Quality shows on television can also impart knowledge and important values and lessons.
    * Television helps in a child in spending time with family members, when all of them are watching the same show.

Bad Effects

* Excessive television viewing is seen to trigger violence or aggression in children.
    * Sitting in front of the television, for long hours, has been linked with obesity, as physical activity gets diminished considerably.
    * Children become influenced towards eating junk food, as there is a lot of promotion on the television regarding the same.
    * Devoting more time towards watching television leads to poor academic performance, as the child neglects studies.
    * Television watching also promotes lack of creativity and enhances passivity. The child shies away from mental and physical workout.
    * Apart from this, television viewing creates the concept of gender-role and racial stereotypes in children.

Unhappy And there was television.....

Interesting topic.

Altough we also have television, and do think the disadvantages especially for kids is disatrous.

But.....its almost impossible to rule it out.

That is correct!

My 2 1/2 baby's main entertainment/habit is watching TV/DVD most her favorite DVD are Cartoons...
    DVD eliminates advertisement of other JUNK information :)
    she is less in TV programs.

Quote Originally Posted by allsecur3 View Post
    That is correct!

My 2 1/2 baby's main entertainment/habit is watching TV/DVD most her favorite DVD are Cartoons...
    DVD eliminates advertisement of other JUNK information :)
    she is less in TV programs.
    Hi,

Yeah, been there, done that....didn't last

Unfortunally as they grow older they will use the remote controle themselfs + even if they watch controlled dvd, they are still very passive and it keeps them from really playing and learning another way.

Dont get me wrong, I fell for it too, its so easy, because we then can do what we have to do while they are buzy watching tv, but I dont think its a very good thing.