Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Private Servers

Default Private Servers

Can someone explain to me how to run a server off an old computer of mine? I heard you need a program called UNIX??? How many websites do you think i could run off the server if Im using cable, plus still have enough bandwith to still use with my regular computer?

vCAP

i will...

it's pretty complicated...
    well. you heard right, yet wrong.

servers work like this:

-your browser sends a request over the internet
    -the server sees it, and shows a page.

of course, it's not so simple, but that's enought for today.

First, you have Linux, or in your case, UNIX. Linux and Unix are not programs, but operation systems.

i reccommed linux.
    since i can see that you may not be here anymore, please post to confirm that i'm not gonna write the whole thing (it's pretty long) for nothing

Okay I got ya so far. Can you go more in-depth?

vCAP

Also, I have an old Gateway 233 MHZ in the basement not being used is that okay to be used? or do you need a better computer? Also is LINUX freeware?

vCAP

i wouldnt try running your own server from your computer - it can take a serious amount of your connection and will be unbearably slow for people attempting to access it. Yuo really need SDSL rather than ADSL, as the upload is too slow on ADSL

i wouldnt try running your own server from your computer - it can take a serious amount of your connection and will be unbearably slow for people attempting to access it. Yuo really need SDSL rather than ADSL, as the upload is too slow on ADSL

I've tried using xp sp2, apcache, php and mysql to host a forum using adsl. not much problem, though...

What's ADSL and SDSL? I was told that cable modem with my old computer would be fine if it was only 1 website???

BWIAva

ADSL stands for Asymetrical Digital Subscriber Line, in other words the Upload is not the same as the Download. SDSL sounds for Symetrical Digital Subscriber Line (the Upload and Download are the same). When someone views your website you're uploading files to them and they're recieving them. You'd be Ok on your plain old ADSL as long as you didn't expect thousands of visitors to view it at one time. For a forum with only two or three people browsing at once then it shouldn't be noticable. I hope this helps.

Webmonkey has a pretty good tutorial about turning an old computer into a linux-run server...

Unix, my bad. But yes, this should push you in the right direction. Hope it helps.

http://webmonkey.wired.com/webmonkey/99/08/index3a.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast