LONDON: In the absence of an injured Brett Lee, Australian captain Ricky Ponting has asked his inexperienced fast bowlers to become Ashes heroes. Australia's Ashes defence campaign suffered a major blow as Lee, making a comeback from an ankle injury, was ruled out of the first Test at Cardiff starting Wednesday after he pulled an abdominal muscle. The veteran paceman is also doubtful for the second Test at Lord's next week. Ponting has now challenged rookies Mitchell Johnson and Peter Siddle, who have never played a Test against England, to etch their names into Ashes history.

'Reputations and legend are generally made out of these bigger series and there is no bigger series than an Ashes series to do that. One good initiative we have had since we have been here is during every game day or training day, one or two guys have been telling us what an Ashes series means to them, and what it means to be a part of it,' Ponting was quoted as saying by The Times, London. 'Hearing them say some of the things they have said makes me think they really want to forge their own identities and make an impact in this series,' he added. Ponting, however, admitted that selecting a replacement for Lee in the eleven will be a tough job.

'The work he (Lee) did last week was pretty impressive as everybody saw. So the thinking caps will have to go on and we will have to work out what the best XI will be in these conditions down here. We have got more than capable guys to step into that void,' he said. But Ponting remained upbeat and claimed that despite Lee's injury, Australia are better prepared than in 2005, when they lost the Ashes after 18 years. 'All the talk since we have been here has been about 2005.

Which is about 50 Test matches ago. It has been a long time between then and now,' he said. 'But I think we are a better team as a result of that series, and better prepared than we were then. If you look at our overall squad, we have got really good balance, not just in one certain area but right the way through,' he said. Ponting added that the Australian team has a fine blend of youth and experience and that will give them an edge over England. 'We have got a good blend of experience and youth in our batting as well. I think those things puts us slightly ahead of whatever England have got,' he said.