Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best firewall

It wouldn't bother me if he just said he just left it running like i do... But to call it "awsum" .... k that is going way too far! It's a standard built in "firewall". I doubt its even that. I bet its just named that in the settings so that window users think "wow, i have a firewall", what a great bunch microsoft are...

If you only have windows as your firewall, i RECOMMEND GETTING another one at least. Seriously, VERY VERY limited proctection. Service Pack 2 was just a rush. It screwed up my computer, i think its designed to block almost all the ports, except a few.

It decided to make my interenet safer for me by not allowing me to connect to it :roll:

If your have an old PC laying around, I suggest IPCop. IPCop is very secure and it also includes SPAM protection for your email accounts and much more.

Code:
    IPCop Firewall is a Linux firewall distribution geared towards home and SOHO (Small Office/Home Office) users. The IPCop interface is very user-friendly and task-based. IPCop offers the critical functionality of an expensive network appliance using stock, or even obsolete, hardware and OpenSource Software.
    Check it out!

Ooo no its not just there, i have VPN and a firewall in my router.

It's not there? what?!?!?!?

IPCop also has a VPN and a VERY good firewall.....

I use just the firewall from XP...
    I don't need a very good one, just watch good what you are doing :P

I dont need a firewall, but I run it anyway, and plus I like Service Pack 2

McAfee Firewall it's only one

I use Kaspersky Anti Hacker when on XP...and Firestarter on Ubuntu....i tend to find a lot of firewalls (e.g. ZoneAlarm) give you tonnes of data....but not very much information :) I have relatives who use ZoneAlarm and am constantly being told of the "scarey" messages they get from it....Kaspersky tells me what i need to know....and nothing i don't -- Firestarter seems to do the job...but i've not been using for long so can't comment

nexus.

My personal experience (under long terms) , with rating of 1-10 (I consider myself as Pro , so that rating relates to every little detail I can access and customize) :
    - Sygate (8) > one time i turned on the computer and it started blocking me apps without thinking so I had to shut him down , not so good...
    - NIS (norton internet security) (5) > not very easy to customize , but besides that it's OK .
    - MCafee (3) > Bad! if your system will restart due to an error this app can fuck up your entire system , and uninstall will do no good .
    - Windows firewall (10) > THE BEST . Why? Because it would work as long as your OS work .
    - Panda (1) > some frind of mine installed it once and it burned (!!!) his HDD .
    - Bit defender (?) > by the look of it at my friends (not my system) , I believe it just sucks , blocking apps and you can't do much about it , just remove .
    - ZoneAlarm (8) > for professionals only!
    - Tiny personal firewall (8) - so so funny , it ain't tiny at all :) , for professionals also .

Now , about Anti-Virus... I don't have much experience , I use only NAV 2002 , I believe it's enough , you can choose whatever you want

There is no BEST firewall. The best firewall is YOU. Choosing the best sites to be on, without malicious code running in the background. I myself choose Norton also. The internet security is very good, besides they have the best updating service. And also the most recent updates.
    And yes windows does have a good firewall system, but many other firewalls will not work properly with it turned to ON.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast