Thread: Need Help with SSI...

Default Need Help with SSI...

Quick question: is SSI already enabled, or do we have to do something special in order to use it? Thank you!

Anybody...? I'm sure there is someone out there who utilizes SSI and knows what I am talking about.

SSI is enabled on all web sites by default.
    Become PHP Expert in 30 days
    FreeMarriage.com - Free Online Matrimonial
    FlashWebHost.com - Professional Web Hosting, Designing.

Excellent! Thanks, Nokia! I knew someone here had to have the answer!

props++

Hello. Sorry to bother you all again, but I seem to be having some trouble using SSI.

I'm trying to use the INCLUDE directive to put a menu into my index page. For instance...

... where, menu.html is in the same directory as my index file.

However, the contents of menu.html are not showing up. I read the FAQs located here, and from what I understand, I need the index file to be named as index.shtml, not index.html. (Is this correct?)

So anyway, I then proceed to upload the index.shtml file and try to open it, but I get a 404 error.

I'm very confused. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance![/url]

Ok, I tried the same thing I did last night again (see my previous post), but it didn't work.

Since my coding looks correct, and I assume it is because it's only one line and no one has commented on it, I think this might be an issue with the server. Is anyone having issues with SSI? Or am I really doing something wrong?

maybe you should try using php for this...
    Code:
    <?php include("index.html")?>
    , then you need to change the extension of your html document to .php and make sure it's activated on your account.

Thanks for the advice, Lithium, I appreciate it.

However, at least for now, I would like to stay away from PHP simply because I don't know how to use it. From what I've read here, I know that it is extremely versatile, but I am still trying to learn SSI at this moment. I will consider PHP as a last resort.

I just wish I knew what, if anything, is wrong with my current coding. The biggest thing that bothers me right now is that any time I upload and try to access an .SHTML file, I get a 404 error. Is an .SHTML file even necessary for SSI to work?

I am so lost and I wish everything would just work. :(

I didn't even know you could include documents with html...
    Because SSI means Server Side Include, and html isn't server side, but I guess it's possible but I don't know how, ofcourse you can also use iframes, but then ofcourse you have the scrollbar with it...

Interesting point, but I'm assuming that the server is set up to allow for it, as BizHat's own FAQ's make reference to including html files. Look here: http://www.netfreehost.com/faq/ssi/include_file.php

Admin, if you are around, it would be great if you could clear this up. If the server supports SSI, why isn't it working out? Thanks in advance.