Thread: How to Choose Healthy Snacks for Children

Default How to Choose Healthy Snacks for Children

Almost all children in every part of the world love to eat snacks but as they cannot differentiate between good and bad, they tend to choose food stuff, which is unhealthy. However, if you thought that snacking is bad for kids then you are wrong because kids need energy throughout the day and snacks offer a lot of energy. Find out how to choose healthy snacks for children.

Choose a Place for Snacking

Make sure that your kids enjoy their snacks in the kitchen. If your kids snack while watching TV then they consume extra calories, which can lead to obesity. Therefore, it is a good idea to set a specific area for snacking. If your kids need some snacks, while you are driving together in car, then what do you do? The answer is not potato chips. You can offer healthy options such as cereal bars, yogurt sticks, cheese cubes, and other dry stuff.

Whole-Grain is Good

Choose whole-grain snacks for your kids. The options are many and you can choose from whole-grain cereals, tortillas, whole-grain pretzels and more. These take time to break down and thus they will give your kids energy for a longer time.

Introduce Some Variety

Kids like to have different kinds of snacks as opposed to just the same thing every day. Therefore, you can spread some hummus on sliced whole-wheat bread on one day and crackers with peanut butter on another day. Slice some fresh pineapple and serve with whipped cream. You can give them roasted soy nuts, fresh cranberries, and other fruits. Make a nice and colorful fruit salad and garnish with fresh mint leaves. You can add a pinch of pepper and salt for some more fun.

Keep Unhealthy Snacks Out

A golden rule is to keep snacking stuff out of your children’s reach. If they are addicted to chocolate chip cookies then don’t buy them. When they will not find any cookies at home they will gradually start snacking on fruits and veggies.

Healthy snacks for children are ideally fruits and fruit juices. I serve apple twice a week to my son. Good thing that he loves apples. I also do fruit shakes that I serve with biscuits and sandwich. I am also picky when it comes to sandwiches. Most of the time I serve fresh sandwiches such as tuna and egg sandwiches

Last edited by minisoji; 08-26-2010 at 03:37 AM.

I am so thankful that my son doesn't eat too much junk food or any unhealthy foods. I always see to it that I give him something that nourishes him and I am proud to say that what I offer him to eat he doesn't complain. Sometimes I give him junk foods, ice cream or anything but only once in a while so as he could experience eating with this and to my glad he doesn't lingers on this kind of food.

Last edited by minisoji; 09-20-2010 at 03:55 AM.

I am so thankful that my 2 year old loves fruits and vegetables. She is picky on vegetables but she eats any kind of fruit that I serve her for snacks. She gets a taste of junk foods when she gets visited by her cousins but she doesn't ask for them like she asks for fruits when she feels like having a snack. :)

Last edited by sherlyk; 11-21-2010 at 05:09 AM.