Thread: Full-time captaincy not in my agenda: Gambhir

Default Full-time captaincy not in my agenda: Gambhir

JAIPUR: Despite leading India to back-to-back wins in his first two assignments, stand-in skipper Gautam Gambhir ruled out chances of leading the side on a full-time basis in future and said that regular captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni was doing a "far better" job.

"MS (Dhoni) is doing a far better job and all of us know that he is doing a great job. I am just concentrating on the present assignment and trying to do my job in the best possible manner. I have not given it a thought," Gambhir said, moments after leading India to a comfortable eight-wicket over New Zealand in the second one-dayer at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium here.

Gambhir also said that finishing the game was even more "pleasing" than scoring a first hundred as captain.

"It was satisfying to get a hundred as captain but finishing the game is more pleasing," the skipper said in the post-match conference.

"I was enjoying there in the middle and the ball was coming onto the bat nicely, it was not spinning," he said.

Crediting the bowlers for laying the foundation for India's victory, Gambhir said, "258 was a good score but I must say that our bowlers did a very good job."

S Sreesanth broke the back of the Kiwi batting order with a four wicket haul while the others chipped in with a wicket each.

"Sreesanth bowled really well in the Test series and was very impressive in the last two one-dayers also," he said.

Asked about Ashish Nehra, who had an ordinary outing today, Gambhir said, "Every bowler has an off day and Ashish is an experienced campaigner, and is bowling in good rhythm.

One can always have a bad day."

India's stand-in skipper hoped that the team would carry the momentum forward and finish the job in Baroda, the venue for the third match on Saturday.

"But we can't be complacent," Gambhir cautioned.

Daniel Vettori, on the other hand, was distraught with his bowlers' performance.

"We bowled poorly, gave them enough room and that's why we gave away too many boundaries. But Gambhir batted magnificently," the New Zealand captain said.

The visitors are going through a rough patch having suffered their seventh defeat on the trot and asked about that, Vettori said, "We can't get caught up in history."

Key words: Gambhir, sports news, cricket news, skipper, Mahendra Singh Dhoni

Default posts

like ur posts