New Delhi: Abishek Bachchan proposed to Aishwarya Rai after the premiere of the their latest film Guru in New York last week, megastar Amitabh Bachchan said on Monday, adding the date for the marriage has not been decided.

"They had gone for the premiere of Guru in New York. After the premiere, Abhishek proposed and Aishwarya accepted. I was the first person he called to break the news. I was overjoyed and gave them blessings and I asked them to come home soon," the Big B told CNN-IBN.

Asked about the marriage date, he said, "Not as yet". "Some members of our family are not here now. When they come back we will discuss," he said.

To a question whether aggressive media coverage of their family was "bothersome", Bachchan said he realised that the family was under tremendous public scrutiny. When there was a determined young lot (of newspersons) following a story, "we also keep our commitment to the media and share the information like we did last night." But, he said, it was not possible to do it all the time and share all details.

The superstar, who said normally he was hesitant about Abishek's acting, was generous with his praise for his role in Guru.

"I congratulated him. This was one action that was marked by excellence and showed the maturity of his performance. It was a tough role every actor would aspire for. It was an extremely commanding performance and he had done full justice to the role abridging a span of 40 years into three hours."

When told his reaction was "humble", Bachchan quipped "factual".

Asked whether he felt lonely at this happy moment when Abishek and Jaya Bachchan have gone for a shoot like Aishwarya, he said, "I am thankful to the media for keeping company."