Thread: Ten Reasons for Rejection

Default Ten Reasons for Rejection

Below are the most common reasons that employers reject a candidate. Working closely with your search consultant ensures that these factors will not come into play during the interview process.

1. Lack of research
    It's obvious when candidates haven't learned about the job, company or industry prior to the interview. The Internet makes it easy to research the company. In our information age it always shows if you haven't done your homework and you'll be overshadowed by those who have invested the time.

2. Ambivalent about opportunity
    Companies want employees who are passionate and enthusiastic about joining their team. Candidates coming across as arrogant or ambivalent will be "blown away" by others who bring higher levels of enthusiasm. Employers can afford to be self-centered, candidates cannot.

3. Appearance
    First impressions are quickly made in the first three to five minutes. Dress based on the company's culture. Many candidates do not consider their appearance as much as they should.

4. Not having questions to ask
    Prepare a list of questions in advance. Asking questions shows your interest in the company and the position.

5. Not readily knowing the answers
    Anticipate and rehearse answers to tough questions about your background, such as a recent termination or an employment gap. Practicing with your spouse or friend before the interview will help you to frame intelligent answers.

6. Too much humility
    Explaining how you reach difficult or impressive goals helps employers understand what you can do for them. Being conditioned not to brag, candidates are sometimes reluctant to describe their accomplishments.

7. Not relating skills to employers' needs
    Reiterate your skills and demonstrate to the employer that you can "do the same for them." A list of sterling accomplishments means little if you can't relate them to a company's requirements.

8. Handling salary issues ineptly
    Share your current compensation if asked. Avoid quoting, "What you'll need" during an interview. It's always best to answer, "I'm sure an offer would be based upon my background and experience" to keep discussion of money a lower priority initially. Get to the offer state of the process, then talk about money and benefits. Your recruiter can provide expert advice on making your offer stage a win-win for both you and your company!

9. Lack of career direction
    Companies hire for specific titles and skills today. Looking for, "A job in operations" will tell the company you don't really know where you're going. Saying, "I want to be a Store Manager with an opportunity for growth to a District Manger" will communicate a specific career path.

10. Job shopping
    Don't waste everyone's valuable time going to an interview unless you're serious about considering another opportunity. You could eliminate future opportunity when you really want or need it.

Keywords: Ten Reasons for Rejection ,Lack of research, most common reasons,employers reject a candidate,interview process,Ambivalent about opportunity,passionate and enthusiastic

I always wonder what the questions to ask the employer are. If you've researched the company properly, you should know everything and not need to ask

Angry

I think we don't get a chance to ask the questions to the employer about the company.. In some companies we are there just to provide answers to there questions