Thread: :::(((ALERT)))):::: A very fast Spreading Worm Sober worm ::

Default :::(((ALERT)))):::: A very fast Spreading Worm Sober worm ::

Alert From HackerTower Labs :::: 8)

The latest Sober worm has spread rapidly in the past 24 hours and now makes up two-thirds of virus traffic on the Internet, according to security experts.

Sober.P, first detected on Monday, now accounts for 77 percent of all viruses detected by Sophos' threat-monitoring stations worldwide, the British security company said on Tuesday. At the same time, Kaspersky Lab, a Russian maker of antivirus software designed to combat such threats, described the worm's spread in Western Europe as an "epidemic."

"This is a pretty significant virus. We usually don't see it spread to 77 percent of all inbound viruses," Gregg Mastoras, a senior security analyst at Sophos, said. "Usually, it spreads much slower, and users have time to update their computers."

Variants of Sober have been circulated since 2003 and have continued to hit corporate and home systems. The mass-mailing worm has continued to spread because people still open attachments in infected e-mail, despite warnings.

The latest Sober offshoot, which has been tagged as Sober.N, Sober.O or Sober.S at other security companies, uses e-mail written in both English and German. One of its lures is a message saying the recipient has won free tickets to the 2006 World Cup soccer tournament. Once victims open the infected attachment, the virus harvests their e-mail addresses. The virus copies itself onto the user's computer and then sends a similar e-mail to the harvested addresses
    The World Cup message could account for the rapid spread of the virus in Europe, Sophos said. "Many people will be eager to attend one of the biggest sporting events in the world next year, and may think it's worth the risk of opening the e-mail attachment just in case the prize is for real," Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos, said in a statement
    Kaspersky Lab claimed that the worm has "broken records in terms of the number of infected messages sent out and speed of propagation throughout Western European segments of the Internet."

Sober.P may end 2005 as one of the worst viruses. Last year, Netsky-P, which accounted for 22.6 percent of all virus incidents, held that title, according to Sophos.

Default More info on the worm

Sober.M is a mass e-mailing virus that spreads as a .zip file attachment and affects systems running Microsoft Windows. The e-mail containing the worm sends itself in German or English language. The English version of the e-mail is below.

Subject line: I've_got your E-mail on my_account!

Message text:

Hello,
    First, Very Sorry for my bad English.
    Someone is sending your private e-mails on my address.
    It's probably an e-mail provider error!
    At time, I've got over 10 mails on my account, but the recipient are you. I have copied all the mail text in the windows text-editor for you & zipped then. Make sure, that this mails don't come in my mail-box again. bye

Attached file: your_text.zip

Default How the worm fools You

The latest variant of the mass-mailing Sober worm masquerades as an official Microsoft patch for the MyDoom worm
    Sober.D spreads either as an executable attachment or inside a password-protected Zip archive attached to an e-mail. Once a person clicks on the file, the worm scans the PC to see if it has already been infected.

If the system is clean, a small box appears with the message: "This patch has been successfully installed." If the system is already infected with Sober.D, the message says: "This patch does not need to be installed on this system."

Sober.D also changes its language depending on where it is being sent. If the recipient's e-mail address has a "de," "ch," "at," "li," "nl" or "be" extension, the text will be in German and the subject will read: "Microsoft Alarm: Bitte Lesen." Otherwise the subject line is in English and reads: "Microsoft Alert: Please Read!" Previous versions of Sober have also been bilingual, Cluley said.

This is not the first time that a worm has disguised itself as a Microsoft update. In January, the Xombe, or Trojan.Xombe, worm posed as a critical patch for Windows XP. This was believed to be a copycat of 2003's most successful worm, Swen, which is thought to be the first known worm to masquerade as a security warning from Microsoft.

could you just scann your e mail like ur supposed to or so u wont get it or even scann it it wont work? or norton cant find it? i havent heard of this virus ever and i dont see it on the new\s etc so it must be a big thing in eurpoe though.

just update your norton anti virus regulary and u will be ok.

Just dump that $Microshit and switch over to Linux

yeah that microshit Sucks Badly Linux is the Best