Kerala Duck roast is very authentic recipe, a distinctive tradition passed down by generations. It is a specialty of Syrian christian families in Kerala and is part of their cuisine on all special occasions including marriages and feasts, and Christmas dinner and New year. It goes well with appam, puttu, idiyappam, rice and chappatis. There are different variations in making duck roast. In regions like Kuttanadu it is made with the skin on and is fried in its own fat and seventy percent of the cooking is done without adding water. But here I took off the skin and removed the excess fat. I attempted this traditional recipe after I read much of this duck roast. I am not a great duck lover but this came out good and my family enjoyed.

Ingredients
Duck - 2 lb
Shallots- 1/2 cup
Onions sliced- 2
Ginger- 2 inch
Garlic- 8-10
Chilly powder- 1 tsp
Crushed chilly flakes- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Coriander powder- 2 tsp
Fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp
pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
Vinegar- 2 tsp
Gram Masala- 2 tsp
Curry leaves- 2 springs
Potatoes sliced -2medium
Oil for frying
Salt to taste.

Cut shallots and chop onions into thin slices. Roast fennel,pepper, turmeric,chilly powder and coriander powder till aromatic and make a fine paste along with ginger and garlic.
Clean the duck and cut into pieces (you can clean by rubbing the whole duck with rice flour and salt)
marinate the duck with the grind-ed paste, garam masala and vinegar. Keep aside for about an hour and cook it till done in a closed pot or pressure cook. Duck will take longer time to cook than chicken.
Heat oil in a pan and fry potatoes ( I used frozen french fries ;) it was easy) and keep aside. Fry onions and length wise slitted dry chilly and curry leaves till crispy and keep aside. In the same pan place the cooked duck and gently roast them and slowly turning it upside down. Remove them from the pan. Simmer the gravy that will be left behind in the pot in which we cooked the duck. When it gets a thick consistency place back the duck and allow it to get coated and drop in the onions as well. Serve with fried potatoes ( or carrots, cabbage).

Keywords: kerala foods, tasty kerala food items, kerala foods recipe, kerala duck roast, kerala duck fry, kerala nadan curry, kerala duck curry, kuttanadu duck fry, kerala duck roast receipe