SHILLONG: Elated at Sourav Ganguly’s comeback to IPL, the former Team India skipper’s wife Dona feels if a player can keep himself fit and perform, he should be allowed to continue in the game.

“Just because my students are dancing, it does not mean that I stop performing. If you can keep yourself fit and can perform, then why not?'' Dona, an Odissi dancer, told PTI here.

“When Sachin is scoring a hundred after hundred, will it be right if he is stopped from playing?'' she said.

Dona said Sourav quit the national team on his own accord and because he felt like that. The family was sad when Sourav was not picked up initially by any IPL franchise.

''It is nice that he got an opportunity now. Players like him should have their own time of declaring when they don’t want to play. He should play if he wants to,” she said.

Sourav Ganguly has made an entry into IPL-IV, with Pune Warriors announcing on May three that it had signed him on in place of the injured Ashish Nehra.

The icon of Kolkata Knight Riders in the first three seasons, Ganguly found himself out of the fourth edition as no franchise bid for him in the auctions earlier this year and later took to commentary.

He is likely to take the field tomorrow when the Pune Warriors lock horns with Kings XI Punjab.

Asked which team, she would support now that her husband has joined Pune Warriors, Dona, an accomplished Odissi dancer, said, ''I will be among many fans in Kolkata who will be supporting Pune Warriors.''

Dona was here to perform at a four-day festival to mark Rabindranath Tagore’s sesquicentenary birth anniversary.

Keywords: Latest sports news, cricket news, IPL, Sourav Ganguly, Dona,