JOHANNESBURG: Gary Kirsten was named South Africa's new cricket coach on Monday, agreeing a two-year contract to lead his country of birth just two months after taking India to the World Cup title.

The 43-year-old Kirsten, a former opening batsman who played 101 tests and 185 one-day internationals in an 11-year career with South Africa, takes over from interim coach Corrie van Zyl — who left the role following the Proteas' dismal World Cup failure.

Former South Africa fast bowler Allan Donald was appointed as the team's new bowling coach.

National body Cricket South Africa said wicketkeeper-batsman AB de Villiers would be the team's new captain in one-day internationals after Graeme Smith stepped down following the World Cup. De Villiers will also captain the Twenty20 team, while Smith retains the test captaincy.

Opening batsman Hashim Amla is South Africa's new vice-captain in limited overs cricket, as CSA announced a major shake-up of its personnel after South Africa again underperformed at the World Cup. The Proteas entered the tournament as one of the favorites, only to crash out to New Zealand in the quarterfinals.

Kirsten's appointment was a poorly kept secret after he left India following their World Cup triumph in April, saying he wanted to return home and spend more time with his family.

He enjoyed great success in charge of India's all-star team, leading it to the No. 1 ranking in tests as well as the World Cup title in his last match in charge.

CSA chief executive Gerald Majola and Kirsten both acknowledged the process to appoint him — which lasted months — had been drawn-out, but Majola explained it was because the body wanted to make sure it got the right man. CSA was determined to employ Kirsten, who, it was rumored, did not initially apply for the job.

Kirsten was one of 10 eventual candidates, Majola said. He did not reveal names of any of the unsuccessful applicants. Kirsten begins work on August 1, with his first series in charge against visiting Australia in October.

"I am delighted by the appointment," Kirsten said. "It is a major honor to be offered this position. I am really looking forward to it.

"It's nice to be back in South Africa after playing for South Africa for 11 years. To be with the team that I was so much a part of — it's nice to be among my people and working in that space."

Donald, who contributed to South Africa's surprise World Cup quarterfinal elimination as part of New Zealand's coaching team, joins as bowling coach.

Donald, 44, turned down a permanent role with New Zealand to work with his former teammate. Locally based Russell Domingo was confirmed as Kirsten's assistant coach.

Donald said he had already packed some of his bags and was on the brink of moving to New Zealand to take a permanent job as the Black Caps' bowling coach, but then took "all of half a second" to change his mind after Kirsten asked him to stay.

"It was very close, obviously, and I want to thank New Zealand cricket for their patience," Donald said. "It's something that happened out of the blue.

"I've got to say that when I got the call from Gary it took me all of half a second to say 'yes'. This to me is a very special day, it really is. I've always said I've wanted to work with South Africa ... today that dream has come to fruition."

Keywords: Latest sports news, tennis news, badminton, cricket news,South Africa, Kirsten