Thread: Color Phychology in Marketing

Default Color Phychology in Marketing

On the internet we don't deal with face to face selling. The internet is a visual and psychological medium. The words, or sales copy, on your website have by far the greatest psychological impact on your visitors and thus becomes your most important communication and sales tool.

But another important psychological aspect of your website that is often overlooked are the colors. Yes, that's right... I said colors.

Just as you use words to express yourself, colors can be used as an expression as well and are a language all on their own.

The background color of your website, the color of your header, the color of your text, headlines and sub-headlines etc. can all have a psychological impact on your visitors.

Here is a list of some of the common colors and what type of psychological emotion they invoke in people:

RED is associated with love, passion, danger, warning, excitement, food, impulse, action, adventure.

BLUE is associated with trustworthiness, success, seriousness, calmness, power, professionalism.

GREEN is associated with money, nature, animals, health, healing, life, harmony.

ORANGE is associated with comfort, creativity, celebration, fun, youth, affordability.

PURPLE is associated with royalty, justice, ambiguity, uncertainty, luxury, fantasy, dreams.

WHITE is associated with innocence, purity, cleanliness, simplicity.

YELLOW is associated with curiosity, playfulness, cheerfulness, amusement.

PINK is associated with softness, sweetness, innocence, youthfulness, tenderness.

BROWN is associated with earth, nature, tribal, primitive, simplicity.

GREY is associated with neutralality, indifference, reserved.

BLACK is associated with seriousness, darkness, mystery, secrecy.

You can use the above as a guide when choosing colors for your website. It really boils down to your target audience and what psychological message you want to convey in colors.

Blues and white backgrounds work best for business sites. Maternity sites should consider some pink. Golf or lawn sites sites should consider green. Food sites should consider red, etc.

It also boils down to common sense too. As far as using colors in text, black text on white backgrounds may be dull but it is the most readable and pleasing to the eye.

Yellow text on white background is not only unreadable, but causes eye-strain which will have people leaving your site quickly. Nothing will lose sales faster than eye-straining text.

Here's a link for a "color wheel" that shows which colors compliment each other, and which ones don't:

http://www.saumag.edu/art/studio/cha...d/c-wheel.html

In conclusion, not only can the sales copy on your website have a psychological impact with words but the colors you use can as well.

Use them wisely...
    Become PHP Expert in 30 days
    FreeMarriage.com - Free Online Matrimonial
    FlashWebHost.com - Professional Web Hosting, Designing.

Default I think this is important...

:roll: Yes,

As you say admin you are absoulutly right. When I was choosing coloures to my web site i was hardly looking for this right coloures.

In end I choose whit, blue and some black also... it was to look... www.mschneider.pl

don't think that this whole colours thing applies to all websites.. perhaps business websites, but i think that's where the relevance ends.

Quote Originally Posted by overhung
    don't think that this whole colours thing applies to all websites.. perhaps business websites, but i think that's where the relevance ends.
    Forums count too. I prefer darker coloured forums skins like Tren_Z skin or that. This one's a bit to bright for me personaly. But i use Vbulletin anyway...

wow...such an interesting topic.....i'll take it into consideration when implementing my online language learning courses...based on moodle of course...cos its the best.

Tak I agree with your words.

I'm too, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tak
    Forums count too. I prefer darker coloured forums skins like Tren_Z skin or that. This one's a bit to bright for me personaly. But i use Vbulletin anyway...
    I agree about darker-colored forums...the problem with lighter colors is that when it comes to computer monitors, lighter=brighter, and personally I find that looking at a mostly white monitor for too long gives me eyestrain.