MUMBAI: Former India skipper Kapil Dev on Wednesday lent his support to ex-national teammate Dilip Vengsarkar who is contesting for the Mumbai Cricket Association's (MCA) president post.

The former all-rounder also wondered why ex-cricketers could not be found heading cricket associations in the country.

"I don't understand why cricketers can't head a cricket body," said the country's first World Cup winning skipper at an event here.

He was flanked by Vengsarkar and his panel members Chandrakant Pandit and Balwinder Singh Sandhu.

"I am confused sometimes that why people who are associated with the game should not come forward for contesting election. If Finance Committee can talk about finance, cannot cricketers talk about cricket," he said.

"I don't understand why in our country someone who has not played cricket handles all the cricket bodies?," he added.

Referring to the Vengsarkar panel, he said, "These people have served the game for many years."

"They have given their life and blood for the game. They have been in MCA for eight years. There is no reason why they canot handle further."

Vengsarkar is locked in a straight contest with Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh for MCA's president post. The biennial polls will be held on July 15.

Keywords: Latest sports news, India skipper Kapil De,ex-national teammate Dilip Vengsarkar, Vilasrao Deshmukh,biennial polls, MCA polls