HYDERABAD: Left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha who was ignored for the England tour, has been summoned by the injury-hit Indian team.

“I was emotional when I got a call from the Board that I should fly out to England to join the Indian team,” said an excited Ojha here on Wednesday. He will be flying out in a day or two and will be in time for the third Test starting from August 10 to 14 at Birmingham.

Ojha, who was set to play for Surrey in County cricket, said this is one of the happiest moments of his career. “I was disappointed when I did not play a single match in West Indies and then when I was sidelined for the England tour. But I was always confident that I would be called back by the team. I’m looking forward to play a big role in the team,” he told TNIE.

The 24-year-old left-arm spinner will now cancel his Surrey obligations. “Now that I have got a call, I have to cancel my contract with Surrey. When I was not selected, I thought I would utilise the long off-season by playing in England so that I can gain experience. It is all about improving your skills. I have been match fit. But I’m ready to play for India,” he said.

On English conditions, Ojha said he will try his best. “I have experience of playing in England. My earlier stint in the Slathwaite Cricket Club in the Huddersfield League in Yorkshire in 2007 would help me,” he said. This summer, Ojha had a long workout with former Test left-arm spinner SL Venkatapathy Raju during the start of the season.

“He told me the importance of line and length. A spinner has to have patience,” he concluded.

Raju said it was a godsent opportunity for Ojha. “He should not have been dropped in the first place. He is the best left-arm in the country. He should utilise the opportunity. It will be a good test for him,” said Raju.

Keywords: Latest sports news, Harbhajan, Yuvraj ruled out, second cricket Test, against England, Virender Sehwag, play at Edgbaston, Wasim Akram, Northampton