Thread: TOP 10 foods for a good nights sleep

Default TOP 10 foods for a good nights sleep

TOP 10 foods for a good nights sleep

What is the secret to getting a solid 7 to 8 hours of sleep? Head for the kitchen and enjoy one or two of these 10 foods. They relax tense muscles, quiet buzzing minds, and/or get calming, sleep-inducing hormones - serotonin and melatonin - flowing.

Bananas.

They're practically a sleeping pill in a peel. In addition to a bit of soothing melatonin and serotonin, bananas contain magnesium, a muscle relaxant.

Chamomile tea.

The reason chamomile is such a staple of bedtime tea blends is its mild sedating effect - it's the perfect natural antidote for restless minds/bodies.

Warm milk.

It's not a myth. Milk has some tryptophan - an amino acid that has a sedative - like effect - and calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan. Plus there's the psychological throw-back to infancy, when a warm bottle meant "relax, everything's fine."

Keywords: Health care, healthy foods, healthy vegitables,healthy fruits

Honey.

Drizzle a little in your warm milk or herb tea. Lots of sugar is stimulating, but a little glucose tells your brain to turn off orexin, a recently discovered neurotransmitter that's linked to alertness.

Potatoes.

A small baked spud won't overwhelm your GI tract, and it clears away acids that can interfere with yawn-inducing tryptophan. To up the soothing effects, mash it with warm milk.

Oatmeal.

Oats are a rich source of sleep - inviting melatonin, and a small bowl of warm cereal with a splash of maple syrup is cozy - plus if you've got the munchies, it's filling too.

Almonds.

A handful of these heart-healthy nuts can be snooze-inducing, as they contain both tryptophan and a nice dose of muscle-relaxing magnesium.

Keywords: Health care, healthy foods, healthy vegitables,healthy fruits

Flaxseeds.

When life goes awry and feeling down is keeping you up, try sprinkling 2 tablespoons of these healthy little seeds on your bedtime oatmeal. They're rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a natural mood lifter.

Whole-wheat bread.

A slice of toast with your tea and honey will release insulin, which helps tryptophan get to your brain, where it's converted to serotonin and quietly murmurs "time to sleep."

Turkey.

It's the most famous source of tryptophan, credited with all those Thanksgiving naps. But that's actually modern folklore. Tryptophan works when your stomach's basically empty, not overstuffed, and when there are some carbs around, not tons of protein. But put a lean slice or two on some whole-wheat bread mid-evening, and you've got one of the best sleep inducers in your kitchen.

Keywords: Health care, healthy foods, Almondshealthy vegitables,healthy fruits , Bananas, Chamomile tea, Honey, Oatmeal, Potatoes

Default Thank you. I will try that.

I will try that. The often I can not sleep.

Well the post is awesome dear. Thanks for sharing such a nice information. This information is important for everyone. I have a sleep problem but now i can improve my sleep with these food. Keep posting.

Well these are the perfect food to make you sleep well and i usually drink milk before going to bed and it is my habit and moreover all the diets are good and nice.

Orange County Fitness Trainer
    Last edited by Dravid; 08-06-2011 at 02:55 AM.

Hi minisoji,
    Thanks for sharing food good for better sleep. Here is a list of food which we must avoid before sleeping.
    Processed meats,
    Chocolates,
    Cheese,
    Alcohol,
    Caffeine,
    Valerian.
    San Antonio Weight Loss
    Last edited by Halex; 08-13-2011 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks for sharing such a great information.
    Warm milk never fail to put me to sleep. Take a glass of milk when you are just about to go to bed.