Tamil Nadu’s Ravichandran Ashwin became the first Indian on Friday to achieve the double of five wickets and a hundred in a Test match on home soil.

The youngster gave a fair turnout at the Wankhede Stadium much to cheer about after veteran Sachin Tendulkar, yet again, fell agonizingly short of his 100th international hundred.

In achieving the feat, Ashwin joined the ranks of legends Vinoo Mankad and Polly Umrigar. It was only the 27th instance in Test history when an all-rounder made such a double.

Speaking to DC, Ahswin revealed how an extended session with coach Duncan Fletcher an hour before play on Friday helped him iron out minor flaws.

“My wrists were a little loose in the morning and I felt the need for a lengthy knock in the nets. I worked on my holding the bat a bit tighter and cocked the wrists firmer. Fletcher also advised me on bringing the bat from outside off-stump instead of fine-leg. Minor corrections, but these helped me immensely in the middle,” he said.

Ashwin, who has already set the record for most wickets by an Indian in debut series (three matches), is now in contention for man of the series.

He has exceeded expectations with 18 wickets and a 100 and has a chance to add a few more scalps on Saturday. “Looking forward to the final day,” he said.

Keywords:Tamil Nadu,Ravichandran Ashwin , wickets ,Test match on home soil.,fair turnout, Wankhede Stadium ,veteran Sachin Tendulka,Ashwin , Vinoo Mankad , Polly Umrigar,coach Duncan Fletcher, fine-leg.