The filmmaker, best known for directing the Charlize Theron movie Monster and AMC’s pilot for The Killing, was to have been the first female director of a Marvel Studios movie.

Alas, “creative differences” are being blamed.

"I have had a great time working at Marvel," Jenkins told The Hollywood Reporter in an exclusive statement. "We parted on very good terms, and I look forward to working with them again."

The move is sudden since as late as Monday afternoon Jenkins was actively working on the movie. The filmmaker participated in an interview and photo shoot with THR on Dec. 2, during which she discussed her involvement in the project and praised Marvel.

"I have a long love of superhero films and I'd been saying over and over again to my agents at CAA that I'd like to do one," Jenkins told THR for a magazine feature on female directors that hits newsstands on Dec. 8. "That's the real revolution."The Marvel guys are so brave in terms of who they choose overall, and I don't think they had any pause about me being a woman."

Jenkins told THR she had stayed away from features from the past several years because of her young son but eagerly accepted the Thor 2 job. "I met with all the actors and to my surprise, here we are," she said.

Marvel is said to want to work with Jenkins again in some capacity. According to insiders, the studio is now on the hunt for a new filmmaker and the vacancy is expected to be filled very quickly.

The director's departure is the second for Thor 2; Kenneth Branagh, who directed the first movie, did not return for a second outing, also citing “creative differences.”

Keywords:The filmmaker, Charlize Theron ,movie Monster ,AMC’s pilot , The Killing, female director , Marvel Studios movie,Jenkins , Hollywood Reporter ,interview , photo shoot ,THR on Dec. 2, magazine feature,new filmmaker , Thor 2; Kenneth Branagh.