Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Computer (Can you help?)

Default Problems with Computer (Can you help?)

I dont know what's wrong with my Photoshop so I'm trying to see what kind of information I'll get from the forums.

Here is the problem...
    When I try running photoshop (with an image or without) it views me this error; 'Could not initialize Photoshop because there is not enough memory (RAM).'

What does this mean?
    I tried re-installing Photoshop and it still gives me the same error, when it gives that error there is only one button 'OK' You click that and it closes Photoshop.

My computer specs:
    Intel Pentium 4
    CPU 2.53GHz
    2.53GHz, 632 MB of RAM

What could this problem be? If anyone can help please help out...

Thank You
    Ogi.

Additional information:

HP Compaq Computer
    Windows XP
    Color is on 32 Bit

Hard-drive space:
    (C: ) 11.2 GB out of 19.5 GB
    (D: ) 17.4 GB out of 17.7 GB

Res: 1024 by 768 pixels

Edit: The Photoshop worked Yesterday, then my computer restarted on me while I was working on something and then thats where the error started.

Are you sure it is RAM, isn't it maybe virtual memory.

Try incrising your virtual memory space. --> Right click on My Computer than go Properties than Advanced than (Performance) Settings thag go Advanced than (Virtual Memory) Change.

I have initial: 384 mb, and maximum: 768 mb

DON'T LOWER VIRTUAL MEMORY OF YOUR COMPUTER (if you don't know what exsactly you are doing)

Read more here:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

I donít really want to mess around with that stuff a lot because I have no clue whats so ever what Iím doing in that section, so I think itís better for me not to touch that stuff.

I toke a ĎScreen shotí of the error and here it is.

(Is there any other way to fix this problem?)
    Is there a tutorial somewhere how to do it your way, the way you stated?

Check system properties and see the amount of RAM detected... Right click on My Computer, bottom right corner. It could be that your RAM is damaged.

Anyway, I think you should try incrise your virtual memory... incrising can't harm your computer, only lowering could slow it or make it crash, but it's your call =)

And lol, you can't have 632 Mb of RAM.

You can have like 640 (2 slots, 512+128). RAM can be 8mb 16mb, 64mb, 128mb, 256mb, 512 mb...

Is this where I change the virtual memory?

If it's not too hard to ask, now that you see the picture can you explain it a little more, if not it's alright.

Yeah that's it, and maybe this will help you:

If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum paging file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. When you increase the paging file size, you typically do not need to restart your computer.

To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. Example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size would be 384, the maximum size would be 1152.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

Now it looks like you do have 632 Mb of RAM (632*1.5=984, 632*3=1896). Like I sad before, it might be that your RAM is damaged cos you can't actualy have 632 RAM as explained above. If you have 2 slots of RAM, (turn off your computer) try pulling one out, than turn on the computer and try to run photoshop if that dosen't solve the problem (turn off your computer) try pulling the other one out and put the first one back in, turn on the computer and than run photoshop. If everything works fine with just one RAM than the other one is broken.

I have another little problem, I'm not sure what its caused by, but this is what happens. It might be the same thing your talking about with the RAM being damaged.

The problem is, after a while or randomly (random times) my computer just restarts on me out of no where... could that also be the RAM being damaged?

This problem has been going on for years now, and I just gave up on it and tried to live with it, but now it's really getting on my nerves when i'm doing work and it restarts and I have to start all over again.

Any ideas on what this problem could be?

Quote Originally Posted by Ogi
    The problem is, after a while or randomly (random times) my computer just restarts on me out of no where... could that also be the RAM being damaged?
    Well it is hard to tell, but random restarts happen usualy because some kind of VIRUS, bad, UNSTABILE OS or your FAN is damaged or/and not working properly so your procesor gets overheated and causes computer to restart or shut down (hapend to me...). And yeah, it could be RAM damage or RAM bad placed in slot so the conection breaks time to time.

Now what to do...

1. For VIRUS - try running some virus scans, I suggest the online scans... but any antivirus would do if you have one installed.

2. OS problems - only good solution is to reinstall your OS, or get the newer version of one u are useing (thats if there is one)

3. FAN damage - buy new one =).. You ll know if the problem is in FAN if you hear strange noise comeing out of your computer (lol), or if you can't hear the FAN at all.

4. RAM probloem - try to push the RAM in the slot (not too hard though)

/EDIT

I see you have Windows Xp installed, do you have SP2 installed? Anyway if you think OS is the problem do the reinstall and that will solve all problems for sure. There is nothing better than a good fresh installation :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast